Mating ducks.

Hi I'm new to ducks. I have a male khaki and a female pekin. I observed him biting her neck. What does this mean. Each about 7mths old. Thanks for your answers hopefully

Hi I'm new to ducks. I have a male khaki and a female pekin. I observed him biting her neck. What does this mean. Each about 7mths old. Thanks for your answers hopefully
That is usually how they hold on during mating. Some drakes can get over aggressive and yank out feathers and injure females too but duck mating is not for the faint of heart it's rough. So just keep an eye out and make sure your females is okay.and doesn't get her skin raw. Might want to consider a few more females for your drake too that will keep over mating to a minimum.

Welcome to BYC @quackyduck

That is usually how they hold on during mating.  Some drakes can get over aggressive and yank out feathers and injure females too but duck mating is not for the faint of heart it's rough. So just keep an eye out and make sure your females is okay.and doesn't get her skin raw. Might want to consider a few more females for your drake too that will keep over mating to a minimum.

Welcome to BYC @quackyduck
thank you for your answer

I actually have read about this before so I don't think it's all that unusual. I guess they have their preferences, just like people?

Back
Top Bottom