Mating?!

tmarr

Chirping
Jul 15, 2015
Ok LJ still has no tail feather curl...so I've been watching to see if I could pick up any other signs. Today while I was filling their pool he grabbed Milo by the neck(roughly) and got on top off her, he was actually bobbing her head in and out of the water. Would two females do this? And if not I wonder what has happened to his curl? Also what is the drake 'plummage' about? Thanks, lots of ???

Ok LJ still has no tail feather curl...so I've been watching to see if I could pick up any other signs. Today while I was filling their pool he grabbed Milo by the neck(roughly) and got on top off her, he was actually bobbing her head in and out of the water. Would two females do this? And if not I wonder what has happened to his curl? Also what is the drake 'plumage' about? Thanks, lots of ???
Drake plumage would be like say a Mallard they have different plumage for different times of the year mating non mating.Pekins stay the same color so it won't work for them. Yes females act out the mating ritual also, best way to tell other than drake feather and voice is to watch them mate and after when LJ gets off you should easily be able to see his male part, it's long and shaped like a corkscrew.

Drake plumage would be like say a Mallard they have different plumage for different times of the year mating non mating.Pekins stay the same color so it won't work for them. Yes females act out the mating ritual also, best way to tell other than drake feather and voice is to watch them mate and after when LJ gets off you should easily be able to see his male part, it's long and shaped like a corkscrew. 

Thanks! Haven't seen anything yet lol! It's just very confusing s/he is much quieter than Mylo.

I have the same problem! I have 2 Pekins and can't tell if they are both females or if I have one male. I know I have 1 female, she quacks all the time and is very loud. Plus I'm finding 2 eggs in the nest every morning. My other one, Plucky, is very quiet and has gotten on the back of Lucky (my little girl). I'll have to watch next time I see them "mating" and look for the corkscrew!

I have the same problem! I have 2 Pekins and can't tell if they are both females or if I have one male. I know I have 1 female, she quacks all the time and is very loud. Plus I'm finding 2 eggs in the nest every morning. My other one, Plucky, is very quiet and has gotten on the back of Lucky (my little girl). I'll have to watch next time I see them "mating" and look for the corkscrew!

And THATS your cue on male and female... Their quacks, or lack of ;) females quack, males "whisper" quack lol...

I've personally never seen a female actually go as far as to mimic the ENTIRE mating ritual... So if one was on top, holding her head, and keeping actual balance, its a male...

They have to practice a bit lol, but they catch on quick; I dint know about Pekins, but my Mallards and Runners seem to have a schedule... First thing in the morning they all do their thing, then late afternoon they go again lol...always busy :D

Edit* oh forgot about the little dance ha-ha... The males will hop out and do a little dance and wave their heads, the females splash and wash off ;)

Last edited:
And THATS your cue on male and female... Their quacks, or lack of
wink.png
females quack, males "whisper" quack lol...

I've personally never seen a female actually go as far as to mimic the ENTIRE mating ritual... So if one was on top, holding her head, and keeping actual balance, its a male...

They have to practice a bit lol, but they catch on quick; I dint know about Pekins, but my Mallards and Runners seem to have a schedule... First thing in the morning they all do their thing, then late afternoon they go again lol...always busy
big_smile.png

Edit* oh forgot about the little dance ha-ha... The males will hop out and do a little dance and wave their heads, the females splash and wash off
wink.png
I must have one of each then, he was one her back for quite a while. I was worried about her because he kept pushing her head under water! She keeps laying 2 eggs every day which I know isn't normal for ducks but maybe she's just really fertile!

I must have one of each then, he was one her back for quite a while. I was worried about her because he kept pushing her head under water! She keeps laying 2 eggs every day which I know isn't normal for ducks but maybe she's just really fertile!
My females do the entire act. Some will get on top and stay there for quite a long time and and totally mimic what my males did. So yes females can and will do the whole mating from head bobbing to really getting into it with each other. Listen to this link and you should be able to tell if you have a female and male. http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm. If you are getting 2 eggs every day I would bet you have 2 females.

Last edited:

Well 2 eggs a day? And you have 2 ducks? Lol BOTH female then, I would say ;)

If they are both female, and coming into lay, then one would show signs of dominance and act the part..but you definitely won't see a "male body part" lol ;)

My females do the entire act. Some will get on top and stay there for quite a long time and and totally mimic what my males did. So yes females can and will do the whole mating from head bobbing to really getting into it with each other. Listen to this link and you should be able to tell if you have a female and male. http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm. If you are getting 2 eggs every day I would bet you have 2 females.

Lol I just listened to the ducks, LJ does sound like a male, although no tail feather and I can't see any boy bits yet! I guess I'll have to wait until the eggs arrive, feel like I've been waiting on them forever! Also read about the females getting 'freckles' on their bills!

Lol I just listened to the ducks, LJ does sound like a male, although no tail feather and I can't see any boy bits yet! I guess I'll have to wait until the eggs arrive, feel like I've been waiting on them forever! Also read about the females getting 'freckles' on their bills!
It's hard to wait but your alot closer now. Maybe LJ molted his drake feather off before it was noticeable and now you have to wait for new one.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom