May hatch along :)

Our hatch started last night, first one out and about around 11 p.m. See the pic below. This is my first hatch and it is sooo exciting!

My daughter has been glued to the incubator for most of the day and she's so mad at me that I won't let her open it to take , out the chickies. They started a bit early - end of day 19. 5/14 have hatched so far. I'm hoping to open it tomorrow morning. I don't want to jeopardize the other eggs, but how long will chick #1 be okay in there?
-Liz

I try and wait until day 23...or until there is a good lull with no active pips. I have jeopardized so many hatches by my anxiousness to help... Some people say to mist the incubator..however, I have not had such a good run when I try and get into the incubator too early.

But, everyone has a different idea of what works best for them!

Congrats to all those who have chicks hatching!
woot.gif

I've still got 14 days to go.
Dang this hatch is keeping me on my toes, the other day I woke up to a temp spike of 106. I quickly got it back down and had it cool down for a moment, then I did a emergency candling. I could only see development in one legbar egg, so then I candled at night, and there is development in the OE's too! In 3 days (day 10) I'm going to do a more official candling and see if I can thin out the clears.

I had two temp spikes...one to 106 for approx 4 hours, and one to 104 for only an hour or so...and I still have some viability (although they all appeared to be developing, so we'll see how many hatch!) Resist the urge to candle TOO often...that will jeopardize your hatch as well. Good luck!

lizzy14 you can wait as long as 48 hours, although some wait about 24 to open it to take the chick out. Just do it quickly and carefully. I think I would worry about the chick if I left it in there until day 23. I won't take quitters out until day 24/25 just in case.

I had two temp spikes...one to 106 for approx 4 hours, and one to 104 for only an hour or so...and I still have some viability (although they all appeared to be developing, so we'll see how many hatch!) Resist the urge to candle TOO often...that will jeopardize your hatch as well. Good luck!
I hate the temperature and it's issues. I need some broodies in the future.
I know. I only candled to try and make sure I didn't fry anything. Then I'm candling day 10, and 17.

I should be safe now
fl.gif

We have a chicken!!!!! It looks like it still has a tiny bit of yolk to absorb (not sure if that's normal, but I know that many have survived when that happens) otherwise it looks good and is just a cute little yellow chick! :) Pics in the morning!

jumpy.gif
wee.gif

So, I am going to call it a day with my hatch...going into day 24.

Out of our own Easter egger experiment...I set 22 eggs of varying age. (Just laid to 16 days old)..I had 19 hatch...two got about 1/3 zipped and passed (15 day old eggs) and one egg did not hatch (16 day old egg). 86% hatch rate on our second hatch ( with the only ones not making it being over 2 weeks old at set)... 100% on my first.

Now, my shipped eggs had a very very very rough ride here. I had many air cells detatched. I did however get 3 beautiful Isbars (2 black and one blue), 2 Swedish Flower hens and one Svart hona. So, I am very pleased!!!

I try and wait until day 23...or until there is a good lull with no active pips. I have jeopardized so many hatches by my anxiousness to help... Some people say to mist the incubator..however, I have not had such a good run when I try and get into the incubator too early.

But, everyone has a different idea of what works best for them!

Thanks for your input, purpletie. We took out seven chicks this morning, so it was about 32 hours after the first one hatched. I still have seven eggs in there and I'll leave them there til Wednesday morning I think. I placed warm, damp paper towels over the unhatched eggs as soon as we opened it, and added another damp sponge.

So we have 4 Rhodebars and 3 Cream Legbars. All the chicks but one look quite good, one of the Rhodebars is fairly lame, not walking much and kind of sickly looking - hoping she perks up!

Back
Top Bottom