Maylay- colors, numbers, breeding, availability

Tammylr

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 3, 2015
North carolina
I have to say that just a chicken nut and can't pick a favorite. The mayla has tickled my curiosity though. It looks so prehistoric! I have read some interesting reviews and just want some more information as my dad has also fallen in love with this bird and is working to build a coop for his 3 ft tall chickens! All information would be appreciated, oh and pictures! Lots of pictures!

From the history of this bird I found it is a meat bird. A mature hen only lays around 20 eggs a year so very difficult to breed. Hens are very broody and good protective mothers. Roos can be aggressive and should be housed separate from other Roos. I have seen pictures of red, white, and black, are there any other colors?

Number of breeding populations is down to 200 in the US. Making them listed as Critical on the Livestock Conservancy site.

They're definitely very friendly, but bossy to other birds, not too terrible.

Very protective of their flock(Makes introduction of new birds a bit more challenging)

Colors: Black Spangled, Black, BB Red(Wheaten), BB Red(Wildtype), Blue Wheaten, Splash Wheaten, & Red Pyle.

Haven't seen Partridge colored ones yet.

My Malay Cockerels. Blue Wheaten, & Splash Wheaten.
20211125_085435.jpg
20211125_084715.jpg

Back
Top Bottom