McMurray.. Good, Bad, or Ugly? or Ideal

bantamboy93

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
I've never actually ordered chicks from a hatchery directly... i guess.. My uncle ordered from Randall Burkey. All my chicks died. But they got the pox or something... scabs on their beaks and under wings. died. It was horrible. Idk if that was something to do with the hatchery because my uncle's birds were fine. His are still living, like 3 years later.
smile.png
I've ordered through my local feed store to get some extra chicks in for me that they weren't originally ordering. They order from Ideal. Always had good luck.. But it's a pain going up there and getting them and such. This spring they had my chicks mixed in with someone elses.. Ugh. I want to order from McMurray. They have Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and i've always wanted some of those! Reviews from people who've used McMurray would be very much appreciated.

ok.. edit. Ideal has a feather legged bantam assortment... and you can order whatever number you want.. mcmurray won't do that.. it's 25, 50, 100. So. I'd kinda like to get a batch of those and then get my blue laced reds. they have the bantam version only, i think..

Last edited:
Well, I have not ordered from those hatcheries, but I DO have BLRW, and they are from My Pet Chicken. Which, I have learned, is basically the same as Meyers Hatchery. You can order as few as three chicks, and they have been very good about sexing them. And My BLRWs are beautiful if I do say so myself. Definately not show quality, but still very pretty birds.

The pictures of the splash is the same bird

P1000110.jpg

P1000039.jpg

And the pictures of the blue are also of the same bird. They have both filled out beautifully since these pictures were taken.

P1000109.jpg

P1000043.jpg

P1000047.jpg

We ordered 6 Silkie Eggs from My Pet Chicken. NONE hatched. And they did not want to hear about it. They did not replace. I would NEVER order from My Pet Chicken. Aria

Quote:
When you order or buy eggs to be shipped to you, those are the odds. Either you get a good hatch or no hatch at all. I would not blame the MPC unless you can prove they are infertile. Six eggs isn't much. I would suggest a doz or two doz to get a better odds than six eggs.

I have been happy with the great majority of chicks & ducklings I've ordered from McMurray. They have good customer service and are helpful if you have problems, and willing to provide credit if you have a complaint. I like the wide selection of breeds they offer.

These are pictures of my most recent order from this summer:
7277_chicken_tee_mmh_chix_019.jpg

7277_chicken_tee_mmh_chix_014.jpg

7277_chicken_tee_mmh_chix_009.jpg

Quote:
Can I have the first one?? LOL JK She's SOOO prettY!!

Actually, now that they have had more time to fill out, the blue (Jasmine) looks better than the splash (Candi)!

I'm sorta leaning towards Ideal. They have a greater selection of colors. And my Blue Red OEG's turned out really well that i got this year. I bought a trio of grown ones from a man in the area and he said they were really good bloodlines. my pair that i had left from ideal chicks turned out almost identical. the only difference between the rooster is that one's a little lighter on his neck and one is more red.

Back
Top Bottom