mealworms

tipuana38

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
Hi,
Has anyone had mealworms that don't moult completely? I am seeing some that retain their epethelials (sp?) or skins around their heads and legs, leading to death.
TIA, Jacqui

Are they receiving enough moisture? It is very dry here. Each of our bins gets 1-2 new carrots 1-2 times a week. Pupation trays have sponges to increase humidity locally. I would say give/increase carrots and see if that helps

Are they receiving enough moisture? It is very dry here. Each of our bins gets 1-2 new carrots 1-2 times a week. Pupation trays have sponges to increase humidity locally. I would say give/increase carrots and see if that helps
Sorry about the delay in answering. Funny that my husband suggested it sounded like they were too dry and yet he knows nothing about mealworms. I have been battling mould mite and so changed over to cabbage. How do you set up your sponges? Thanks so much for the reply!

I’m having an issue with my mealworms also. The worms look healthy. I give them plenty of fresh veggies. They
Pupate then when they begin to turn to beetles, they only develop half way die. I’ve only had 3 beetles make it out of about 40 so far. I now have a humidifier going in the room and I have a paper towel in the bin that I keep damp. I do keep pupae in separate container. Does this need moisture also? So frustrated at this point.

I’m having an issue with my mealworms also. The worms look healthy. I give them plenty of fresh veggies. They
Pupate then when they begin to turn to beetles, they only develop half way die. I’ve only had 3 beetles make it out of about 40 so far. I now have a humidifier going in the room and I have a paper towel in the bin that I keep damp. I do keep pupae in separate container. Does this need moisture also? So frustrated at this point.
Probably needs more humidity. Either that or maybe they have been inbred too much? It's common for them to be inbred. Also what veggies do you feed? I've only ever fed mine carrot and that works really well

Back
Top Bottom