Mealworms

WhiteLeghorn2

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Are mealworms good for chickens? I know chickens go crazy for mealworms, but since mealworms are so full of protein are they good? A lot of people seem to say they will cause liver damage. I personally think the protein is good for the laying hens, but would do you guys think?

Liver damage? Never heard such a thing. Yes, they are good as a treat and a protein supplement. I throw handfuls of freeze dried mealworms to my flock and now I'm also raising mealworms. VERY good source of protein.

Liver damage? I would want to see the cited sources of the studies that prove that. Some things are absurd.

I don't feed meal worms, but my chickens forage daily, eating all manner of things.

Chris

Liver damage? Never heard such a thing. Yes, they are good as a treat and a protein supplement. I throw handfuls of freeze dried mealworms to my flock and now I'm also raising mealworms. VERY good source of protein.
Yes, that is what I have heard, but ironically people have said in articles the exact opposite of what you just said. UGHH so confused lol!!! I get so many mixed emotions. I'm gonna go with my gut and still feed mealworms, but not an excess amount. Thank you though!
thumbsup.gif

Here is an article that I have copied and pasted.

Quote:

I guess that, as with most things, common sense and moderation is key. Certainly if hens were confined and fed a diet of all or mostly meal worms their nutrition would certainly be off and yes, protein would be to high. But fed as the occasional treat? You are not going to run into trouble that way.

Yes definitely heard it will cause liver damage. I usually give them a table spoon a day. But they got into the mealworms bucket and ate it all.
hmm.png
should I be worried? Does anyone know if that will cause liver problems?

how do you raise mealworms? is it cheaper to do that then to buy them?
Sometimes, when calculating the "cost to do" on something, people forget to consider all factors- most importantly, TIME.

You can raise mealworms for an absolute minimum monetary cost. However, to run a successful, productive colony of mealworms, you will need to spend a small amount of daily time for maintenance, as well as taking weekly and monthly maintenance actions.

My children are 8 & 10, and they run a small mealworm colony, and sell their live mealworms. The money they make covers all of their costs and also gives them a little spending money, but their mealworms are the only critters they tend to, so it's not an "added" burden. I'm happy to buy their mealworms from them, simply to allow myself the time to enjoy seeing the chickens gobble up their treats.

There are many mealworm-raising tutorials online. CLICK HERE: MEALWORMS

Good luck!

I'm newer to chickens but I have been raising mealworms for 5 years. I pretty much toss mine some food and sift out dust maybe once a month if that, they thrive possibly could get more with more dictated care but I'm happy with them. You can also add things to make your mealworms more nutritious they pretty much are what they eat I add spirulina power I have also heard of people adding powdered milk. I feed them scraps but try to stay toward healthy stuff ie leafy veggies, carrots I stay away from potatoes. I used to sell a lot and they are super cheap to keep.

Back
Top Bottom