Mean Austrolorps?

mrkep

Songster
12 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Richwood , Ohio
We started with Buckeyes, straight run, ate the roosters, and the hens have always been docile and friendly with each other. Two years ago we bought 6 chicks from the farm supply that were labeled as pullets, black with green tints, I guess they are austrolorps. They immediately became the dominant birds, have to be first at food, water, treats. Last year, when the original buckeyes had died off leaving 3 girls, we got 6 buckeye chicks. I subdivided the coop for the new chicks and after they were 6 months, I let them out with the rest, 3 older buckeyes and 6 austrolorps. The aussies killed one and pecked another bald. They still chase and peck the new birds.
So I"m thinking of getting a new flock of buckeyes and culling the aussies.
Has anyone else had this situation with austrilorps?
mrkep

My experience with them wasn't pleasant but not exactly like yours. I got BA's along with several other chick breeds and they all grew up together so no integration issues. But the BA's were definitely the dominant birds in the flock and acted similar to what you're seeing (first at everything). They would continually harass the other birds for no apparent reason. I had a chance to re-home them to a friend that was interested and the flock was a lot more relaxed with them gone.

Most people have good experiences with the BA's but I won't try them again. Once was enough!

Is it possible they were sex links? Australorp are confident birds but generally not aggressive. Your set up can dictate how well birds get along. The smaller the area the more likely there will be fighting for resources.

I have 1 BA and she's just as nice as the rest of them. She does peck a few lower order birds, but doesn't seem to be especially aggressive. When your birds were chicks, did they look like little penguins- black with a white belly, or were they all/ mostly black? If they were mostly black w/ very little or no white, they may be black sex links.

Last edited:
I would hesitate to attribute bad behavior to a breed(s), as all birds are individuals.
Yes, indeed, some do have problematic demeanor's.

Look first to their environment and management, which we as keepers are responsible for. Space and integration technique can have a huge affect on the birds behaviors.

I've found that lots of space, with 'distractions'(like 2x2's and branches for roosts, logs, stumps, pallets leaned against wall or up on concrete blocks, grazing frames, old table/chairs/benches), multiple feed/water stations, and integrating chicks at 4-6 weeks to make for a much more harmonious flock and experience for me the keeper.

Back
Top Bottom