Mean rooster

I have a Splash Orpington rooster who I have raised since he was 4 days old, he is now 9 months old. He has for the last 3 months been super aggressive with me. Trying to spur me at every turn. He is very bold about it: he looks me straight in the eyes at flys at me. He once flew at me 6 or 7 times in a row.
Cull him.

Are these the genes you want to pass on to chicks? There are way too many good roosters that end up in the pot to keep a bad one.

I really appreciate all the replies. Like I said before I've had this guy since he was 4 days old, treated him no different than any of the others. He's a speckled Oprington and he's quite beautiful, I was kind of favoring him a bit. Just in my mind, didn't show it outwardly. He was quite fond of sitting on my lap until he starting getting his "manliness".
I'm really starting to think I may have to give up on him.
Honestly - the vast majority of bad rooster stories start like yours - lots of cuddling, etc. When dealing with livestock, it's generally advised that you avoid handling intact male young animals - it breaks down the avoidance that keeps people safe.

A bottle-raised ram is a lot more dangerous than a ram that was raised by its mom - because the bottle raised ram thinks you're part of the flock that hes at the top of - and needs to dominate you. A mom-raised ram thinks that you're not a sheep, which probably means you want to eat him.

Last edited:
Quote: Honestly - the vast majority of bad rooster stories start like yours - lots of cuddling, etc. When dealing with livestock, it's generally advised that you avoid handling intact male young animals - it breaks down the avoidance that keeps people safe.

A bottle-raised ram is a lot more dangerous than a ram that was raised by its mom - because the bottle raised ram thinks you're part of the flock that hes at the top of - and needs to dominate you. A mom-raised ram thinks that you're not a sheep, which probably means you want to eat him.
For Sure!!

I handled my rooster quite a bit as a tiny chick but after about the 2 month mark I did not handle him near as much as I continued to handle the pullets. I would still pick him up once in a while just to show him I could and that he wouldn't be hurt. I did continue to feed him out of hand but once he got older he deferred to the girls in that most the time. He was used to me handling the pullets and never really batted an eye unless they were squawking, even then he would just come over and realize it was no big deal.

I tend to take into account that a cockerel may need a little time to adjust to his hormones. I know that everyone has their own way of handling it, but if a person likes their cockerel and they have space to move them while they grow up a bit, it might be worth it.

We allow other animals their adolescence, why not the roos?

mine as bad as he aggravated me for terrorizing the flock when hormones hit him was smart enough as he was trained before tha,t to be scared of the broom, he doesn't bother people. Each one will be different as they are very volitile at this point. now he behaves the hens accepted him back in but the slow maturing EE has been kicked outta the flock and is sulking with the ducks right now as he is starting to get hit with them. the older hens do school em pretty good if they get outta line as they aren't human aggressive they are allowed to stay, the older rooster's saving grace was he is an awesome flock protector.

Im going through the same thing
sad.png

I have two cockerels that are so mean. We've had them since they were like 8 weeks old.
I dont know what to do. We have them in their own pens now.

My Chicken all got along fine until they "went through the change" so to speak. Now my roost constantly attacks the hens. He jumps on them, holding them down and pulls out their feathers or creates sores on their backs. And now this week he has started attacking the ducks as well. No matter what I do( separating them, holding him, hand feeding him and so on) he just continues to attack the others. And he doesn't stop until he really hurts them. When I am outside with them, I am constantly pulling him off the others and defending myself. The spray bottle doesn't work either.

My Chicken all got along fine until they "went through the change" so to speak. Now my roost constantly attacks the hens. He jumps on them, holding them down and pulls out their feathers or creates sores on their backs. And now this week he has started attacking the ducks as well. No matter what I do( separating them, holding him, hand feeding him and so on) he just continues to attack the others. And he doesn't stop until he really hurts them. When I am outside with them, I am constantly pulling him off the others and defending myself. The spray bottle doesn't work either.
What you're describing sounds like the rooster treading, or mating the hens.

When you are constantly pulling him off of them or running him away from them he's feeling challenged and is attacking you. How old are they? And how many girls do you have for him? A rooster can handle 10-12 hens easily and it's harder on the girls feathers if there are only a few of them as he will be using them more often.

Often when a cockerel is young it takes them a little while to figure things out, his hormones will be raging for a while as well. It's hard on everybody when this happens, do you have a place to keep him separated for a while? Other cockerels or roosters to put him with, if you want to keep him, that is?

Thank you all. I have read the articles, but thank you again. Like I said this isn't my first time raising chickens, and I've had mean roosters before. But I've never had one that actually hurt the hens. All 13 of my hens have sores on their backs, necks and on the top of their heads. I think I'll just have to keep him separated and get another rooster. But then you have the problem of weather or not the flock will except him. I couldn't get rid of him if I tried. Even though he is mean, my husband and kids love him. And when he is out and about by his self he is fun to watch.

I tend to take into account that a cockerel may need a little time to adjust to his hormones. I know that everyone has their own way of handling it, but if a person likes their cockerel and they have space to move them while they grow up a bit, it might be worth it.

We allow other animals their adolescence, why not the roos?
I agree with you on this. We have an EE cockerel that was too big for the girls we are raising so we had to remove him from the pen. Fortunately we were able to allow him to free range the yard. He shared the yard with 3 cats and a dog which other than chasing the cats at first seemed to fit right in with. People however were another matter. Everyone wants to see the pullets and he had to be watched closely as he would take after anyone that does not live here if given the opportunity. Even though he was not in the pen with the pullets, he was no less diligent in what he perceived to be the protection of his flock.
This past weekend we gave him his own flock of 12 and a pen of their own. My wife and I are the only ones who deal with them on a daily basis and and although he watching everything, it is clear that he understands the relationship between us. As he has been handfed even while free ranging, he comes to the hand and after having some of whatever is being offered proceeds to take, drop and tidbit to call the hens over.
I will post about the way he has gone about integrating 2 groups of 6 ladies, all older than him later today. It has been amazing to observe.

We are raising birds primarily for eggs for sale at this time and he seems to have the instincts to be a great flockmaster so now we are considering hatching some of his fertilized eggs to look for a couple future flockmasters.

Hopefully your little guy will settle down before he makes other measures necessary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom