Meat chicken questions

charles2213

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 25, 2014
Virginia
I am hoping to get some help with this. I am getting ready to order 40 meat chickens and I have just a couple of questions about them.

1. The coop size that they will be going in to is 54 squre feet with a run that is 360 square feet. Is this appropreate for this breed of chicken or is it to small?

2. What is the best feed to give them to build their meat?

3. And lastly does any one know what magic water is? I have heard that term several times but can not find anything on it.

1. Eh....a little small, depending on the run and your weather. If the run is covered then it will work well. Meat chickens grow FAST, and then you eat them...so if your run isn't covered, and your weather gets nasty....they might start getting a bit cramped .... but then you could just eat a few a bit early to ease congestion.

2. There should be a "broiler starter", "broiler grower" and then "broiler finisher" feed bags at your feed store. Use those. About the first 2 to 3 weeks on the starter, then switch.

3. Never heard of that.

You might pick up some info from this Florida article about raising broilers. It gives some percent proteins for the different types of feed. The selection at my feed store is pretty limited. If you have that problem just do the best you can.

http://escambia.ifas.ufl.edu/small_farms_livestock/poultry/Home_Broiler_Chicken_Flock.pdf

Alaskan I had never heard of Magic Water before either but a quick internet search shows it is a mixture of apple cider vinegar, garlic, and honey. I did not try to determine proportions but I'm sure they are there somewhere. Different people put different additives to the water. As long as the proportions aren't ridiculous these additives shouldn't hurt them and might help. You might need to do some serious cleaning of waterers, especially with the honey. I don't add anything to the water but clean fresh water is essential.

You might pick up some info from this Florida article about raising broilers. It gives some percent proteins for the different types of feed. The selection at my feed store is pretty limited. If you have that problem just do the best you can.

http://escambia.ifas.ufl.edu/small_farms_livestock/poultry/Home_Broiler_Chicken_Flock.pdf

Alaskan I had never heard of Magic Water before either but a quick internet search shows it is a mixture of apple cider vinegar, garlic, and honey. I did not try to determine proportions but I'm sure they are there somewhere. Different people put different additives to the water. As long as the proportions aren't ridiculous these additives shouldn't hurt them and might help. You might need to do some serious cleaning of waterers, especially with the honey. I don't add anything to the water but clean fresh water is essential.

Thank you that link that you posted was and will be very helpful

Back
Top Bottom