Meaties 101

I am close to getting meat birds for the first time. Thanks for that first post, very informative and well written. So, from what I see, from what you originally wrote, 8 weeks is the magic age to butcher? What would be the maximum age til they start getting tougher? Also, aside from the weight, are males and females just as good to eat both taste and tenderness wise since its such an early age?
Yes, I butcher at 7 or 8 weeks. They will very gradually get tougher with age. As long as you don't let them go beyond 18-20 weeks, you won't notice it. I would not recommend letting them go that long. I have let a handful of them go to 12 weeks. They were huge (7-8 pounds) but were not tough at all. You won't notice and difference between males and females. I get all cockerals when I order chicks.

Ok thank you, I thought the males may get bigger faster or something. So I can order straight run and it won't make a hill of difference then. Out of curiosity, why do you not recommend letting them go longer like you said you could do if you get more meat and they don't get tougher?

My family and friends are in discussion on raising some meat birds. This is an awesome look inside from people with grand experience. We were debating which breed to get, Freedom Rangers, Jersey's, Red Broilers, or Cornish X's...This sums it all up!

Thanks

Ok thank you, I thought the males may get bigger faster or something. So I can order straight run and it won't make a hill of difference then. Out of curiosity, why do you not recommend letting them go longer like you said you could do if you get more meat and they don't get tougher?
If you order str8 run, the males will be about 10 days ahead the females in weight. In other words, if you butcher a 7 week old cockeral, ten days from then, the female should reach the same weight. It's nice if you are planning on butchering them all at the time and want a variety of sizes. It's not so good for me because I want larger birds that I can butcher all at the same time.

First reason for not letting them go longer is their feed to meat ratio goes to hell once they hit that size/age. Actually, it starts to go downhill after 6 weeks, but I like a bit larger bird, so I accept a little less efficiency. Secondly, once they get a bit larger, there's no guarantee you won't find them on their back dead the next day. I know there are people out there who raise them past 8 weeks and have no problems. I just don't feel it's worth the risk of losing a bird at that stage in the game, especially since I have about $8 invested in that bird, plus the $12 profit I stand to lose if I am selling it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
If you order str8 run, the males will be about 10 days ahead the females in weight. In other words, if you butcher a 7 week old cockeral, ten days from then, the female should reach the same weight. It's nice if you are planning on butchering them all at the time and want a variety of sizes. It's not so good for me because I want larger birds that I can butcher all at the same time.

First reason for not letting them go longer is their feed to meat ratio goes to hell once they hit that size/age. Actually, it starts to go downhill after 6 weeks, but I like a bit larger bird, so I accept a little less efficiency. Secondly, once they get a bit larger, there's no guarantee you won't find them on their back dead the next day. I know there are people out there who raise them past 8 weeks and have no problems. I just don't feel it's worth the risk of losing a bird at that stage in the game, especially since I have about $8 invested in that bird, plus the $12 profit I stand to lose if I am selling it.

Hope this helps!
Don't they say that up to 6 weeks, there is a 2:1 feed conversion ratio.....2lbs of feed per 1 pound of body weight? I would assume that doesn't factor in waste, cause I don't know how not to have some.

Don't they say that up to 6 weeks, there is a 2:1 feed conversion ratio.....2lbs of feed per 1 pound of body weight? I would assume that doesn't factor in waste, cause I don't know how not to have some.
That's what I've read as well. I've never measured it by live weight like "the industry" does, I always figure it based on dressed weight. So my ratio is 2.5-3 pounds of feed per pound of dressed chicken.

Thank you for the information. I only got 3 Cornish X this year, just to try them and see if it's worth it to us as a family. So far, it's been great, except for the food waste when I first moved them outside. I have then in a raised coop with a run that has an indoor and outdoor space for them (aka my extra quail pen,lol) Hub had to make the door bigger for them to be able to get in and out of the shelter, and after a couple of weeks, they really have to squeeze. I ended up moving the food to the indoor section that doesn't have wire under it and they are happy as can be. Saturday will be butchering day for us. They will be 7 weeks old then. I haven't weighed them yet, but they are so big! One is starting to have issues with standing already. Maybe it's the food I am using or that I chose to leave food for them at all times. though recently my feeder is completely empty in the morning and they act like they are staaaarving, lol. I have them in with the 6 silkies I bought the same day, just because...no special reason, and they seem to get along good even though it's getting a little cramped. I shudder to think how people can wait 20 weeks to butcher them. that is what the snot nosed brat at Tractor Supply told me...ARGUED with me actually when I was telling hub that since we only keep them 6-8 weeks they would be fine in the pen I have.

This is a great post thank you for all the great info. I got my first two meat birds 3 weeks ago. I thought they had to stay in for 6 weeks like my other chicks. I was also struggling with the butchering they are so friendly and cuddly I had decided just to keep them but after reading this I know thats not the best thing for them however still struggling a bit:( I do have a couple questions if you don't mind helping me with. I have them in brooder with my ducklings they are very close. Should i move them to start getting ready for outdoors and also I have been feeding 21% organic all in one feed free feeding but I only do 5 playdough cups full with 1 cup scratch a day for two meat birds and 2 ducklings all the same age. should i raise or lower? I am still giving vitamins and electolytes in everyones water I hope that is ok? I Also I give everyone happy hen dried meal worms and a snack at bedtime am I pushing thier weight to fast? Maybe I should have waited on trying meat birds? But if i get this right and all goes well I would like to continue doing meat birds as I feel it is healthier for my family and a learning experience for my kids.

Excellent post and great information. We just got our first four Cornish Cross from Pratt's two weeks ago today. They are in with now 11 Speckled Sussex that started out as 17. They came from the hatchery with something that is killing the Sussex off, but we haven't determined what. The first round of antibiotics hadn't improved things, so re went stronger just now.

The broilers are doing find. The one thing I would love to see is weekly photos from someone to watch their development. I am posting one of my two-week chicks here. Hopefully everything looks good. The huge butt throws me off, but maybe that's normal?

So, at two weeks, they weight 5 5/8 ounces, 7 ounces, 7 5/8 ounces and 10 3/8 ounces. The first photo is one if the two smaller ones, while the second is our largest. It amazes me how thin their fuzzy has been since day one. We had some pasty butt and gently cleaning it left them bare.

I think I'll start a page to keep track of their development. They should gain about two ounces a day, I think, so this could be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom