Meaties 101

Quote:
Thanks S_F, sounds like your spring is even worse than ours, so I won't be afraid to get some CX in winter. I'm not worried about harm to the pasture, just that there's nothing green in it for them after it goes dry, which is usually early June. Then we don't get rain until November, sometimes October if we're lucky! So typically the pasture is only green from December through May. I think we'll try some meaties this summer just to get some experience with them (we have cool summers, typically in the 60s) and then get some in the fall whenever it starts raining. By the time they are ready to go out on pasture it should be greening up with tender, delicious young shoots.

Quote:
lol.png
Not good at math, is he?
tongue.png
120/25 = just under 5 lbs/chick. If they can turn that into 6 to 8 lbs of meat they are truly a marvel!

Conversion ratios I've seen quoted around here are more like 3:1 or even 4:1, i.e. you feed 18 to 24 lbs to get a 6 to 8-lb chicken. At the price we have to pay for feed here:
$16/50# bag = $0.32/lb x 20 lb = $6.40/bird so we could be close to $1/lb for meat. I can live with that.

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, you can't buy pastured raised chicken at the store, so it's not really a fair comparision if that's where you're headed.

Quote:
Today's flyer, Foster Farms fresh [says so right here] whole chicken, $0.99/lb. If you think a pastured bird is equivalent to a FF bird, then don't bother raising them yourself. Since I know better, I will be quite happy getting a better bird for the same money, and I won't worry about arsenic or the appalling conditions at a FF operation. Ever been to one? I have.

Quote:
Dry pasture here in California is any pasture that doesn't get supplemented with water during the hot or growing season. Our irrigation systems are usually based on canals and dams. The hills would have to be sprinkler irrigated which isn't easy to do in many areas. No amount of fertilizer helps unless water is available to keep it green...

Quote:
If you average the total amount over the entire 8 weeks, that is correct.

This may sound alittle silly, but say you have one chicken and you have decided that one chicken eats 20lbs of feed in 8 weeks right, so do they get just 5oz everyday for 8 weeks or is it portioned differently as they grow?

Back
Top Bottom