meatloaf recipes here :)

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
well see, I strongly dislike meatloaf, I'm just not a "down home" cooking sort, more of the cilantro, peanut sauce & fancy cheese type of cook/person, and my poor husband suffers through this in silence. Last night though, I got it into my head to make him meatloaf, now mind you with all of my cooking and recipes I have NEVER made meatloaf. LOL you would have thought I was the queen last night!!! the whole family was yumming and ummmming and saying it was the best they had ever had, I was still getting compliments when he woke up this morning. so lol here's the recipe I "invented" last night, I have no idea if it is the correct way to make meatloaf, but thought I would share and encourage others to share as well.

Katy's Well Loved Meatloaf
roll.png

1 lb 7% fat ground beef
1 lb19% fat ground beef
1 lb breakfast sausage

1 egg
1/2 C parmesean cheese (the cheap stuff in the can)
1 pkg dry Knorr vegetable soup mix
2/3 C plain bread crumbs
1/2 diced red bell pepper
1 diced fresh jalepeno
1/4 diced large yellow onion

Blend the meat first with hands and then blend the other ingredients seperately, then added them to the meat blending well with hands again.

Butter and flour a medium loaf pan and push meat mixture into it tight. place loaf pan on a cookie sheet in case of drips. Cook at 350 for 1 hour; remove from oven drain fat from pan and invert loaf onto cookie sheet, cover top with catsup and return for oven (still at 350) for 30 min. remove from oven and let rest for about 15 min before slicing.

I

yep perfectly! very firm. I only had 1 egg (and me with 100 chickens) that's why I added the cheese and it seemed to do the trick just right.

Here's my favorite:

2-3 T olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 tsp. thyme leaves...fresh or dried
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
3 T worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup chicken broth
1 T tomato paste
2 1/2 pounds ground chuck (81% lean)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 large eggs slightly beaten

Heat olive oil in pan add the onions, thyme, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent. Remove from heat and add the Worcestershire souce, chicken broth and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl combine the ground beef, onion mixture, bread crumbs and the eggs. Form into loaf in a shallow baking dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours or until internal temp is 160.

I've never been one to use food for power but if I ever needed to with my DH I would serve him meat loaf, mashed taters and green beans. Pretty sure I could get whatever I wanted. Glad your family enjoyed the meal.

lol, I couldn't go as far as mashed potatoes and green beans, I tried but it just wasn't in me
roll.png

I made cauliflower with a cheese/sour cream & cayene sauce and a rustic whole grain bread with olive oil.

But this morning while I was still in bed he requested Fried Chicken, Stuffed Pork Chops and Chicken Fried Steak
lol.png
I asked him if he would like some Okra with that, but he didn't know what that was. I kinda think I opened a can of worms here. Fried chicken??? I have never fried meat in oil in my life . . . meat cooked in oil, that sounds as apealing to me as baked ground beef. Funny how what your raised on makes such a difference. before he met me my husband had never had clams, mussels, avocados, or home made croutons . . . ah well it's the differences that keep you together right?
anyway he & the kids came in and had a cold meatloaf sandwich for lunch today, and I am still the hero! who would have figured???

I've seen the threads on here and on the many cooking sites I go to . . . one day maybe. the thought of all that oil, and the oil smell, and the "what do you do with the used oil", and the clean up . . . How about we come to your house for fried chicken and you can come to my house for sushi?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom