Medicated feed + wormer crumbles?

JediJinx

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
Ohio
Can you use medicated starter feed (with amprol) for older chickens?? Can you feed them triple wormer crumbles in with it? Does the medicated feed work if the chickens already have coccidiosis infection?

The chickens affected are around 5-9 months old, two are laying, one is broody and the rest are not laying yet (I have one hen who does not lay at all). We are not really using the eggs for anything because they are frozen, so does it matter??

The rules on combatting coccidiosis are very confusing. Some are saying the medicated feed is not to be used after the chickens have been exposed? We have used Corid in their water but one of the chickens still has blood poops.

Can you use medicated starter feed (with amprol) for older chickens?? Can you feed them triple wormer crumbles in with it? Does the medicated feed work if the chickens already have coccidiosis infection?
Dont use medicated chick starter for older chickens. They need the calcium in layer feed for egg production. You can mix triple wormer in layer feed. Medicated feed is useless against an existing cocci infection. Since your seeing bloody feces in one of your birds and you already used corid, I recommend that you use sulmet or sulfadimethoxine to treat for coccidiosis.

Last edited:
When you used the Corid, did you use the correct amount needed for a severe outbreak? This picture shows the dosing recommended by the FDA and the mfg of Corid and Amprol.

Picture:

-Kathy

Last edited:
When I used Corid, I used the powder - 2 teaspoons to a gallon of water for 5 days.

Is it ok to repeat this again? I also don't know if I gave fresh dose each day, maybe like 2 times in the 5 days. They have a big drinker that is heated. Does the Corid lose its potency in the water over time? Sorry if this is dumb!

Also, for the experts, what is the best wormer (easiest) to use to get rid of capillary, round and cecal worms? ONE of my chickens was diagnosed with this so I am assuming they all have it to some degree. I got this triple wormer (rooster booster brand) but it says dump the can into 50 lbs of feed. To me, it doesn't seem very precise or accurate. How would I mix this thoroughly enough to make sure all the birds get the same dose? How long would I feed them this, and how long should I discard the eggs?

Also, remember these chickens are over 4 months old... some are laying.

Last edited:
When I used Corid, I used the powder - 2 teaspoons to a gallon of water for 5 days.

Is it ok to repeat this again? I also don't know if I gave fresh dose each day, maybe like 2 times in the 5 days. They have a big drinker that is heated. Does the Corid lose its potency in the water over time? Sorry if this is dumb!

Also, for the experts, what is the best wormer (easiest) to use to get rid of capillary, round and cecal worms? ONE of my chickens was diagnosed with this so I am assuming they all have it to some degree. I got this triple wormer (rooster booster brand) but it says dump the can into 50 lbs of feed. To me, it doesn't seem very precise or accurate. How would I mix this thoroughly enough to make sure all the birds get the same dose? How long would I feed them this, and how long should I discard the eggs?

Also, remember these chickens are over 4 months old... some are laying.
No harm in treating them all again, but this time make it fresh daily. The Corid water also needs to be their only source of water (no puddles, ckeerks, ponds, etc.). In addition to the medicated water, you can give an oral drench to the one with the bloody poop. To make a drench, mix 1/2 teaspoon Corid powder (that's 270mg amprolium) with 10ml of water and give 0.35ml per pound of body weight. Corid is very safe, so there is no need to be exact, just do your best to guess their weight.

The easiest way to worm for capillary and cecal worms would be to use Valbazen orally. One dose at 0.08ml per pound orally will remove a very high percentage of them. Repeat in ten days. Valbazen is very safe, so guess weight in pounds and round up to the next tenth.

Safeguard can also be used. To treat for just roundworms and cecal worms, the most effective dose is one dose at 0.23ml per pound orally and repeat in ten days, but cecal worms are harder to treat and they require five consecutive days at 0.23ml per pound.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom