medicated feed?

ohiogoatgirl

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
ohio
I see people.say not to use medicated feed with coturnix quail. What problems come from using medicated feed?

I got this "southern states sporting bird starter" thats 28% protien and was good price compared to the other feeds and better protien.... well after buying it and feeding it several days i see that its medicated... its a 50# bag so i have to finish it out. I am going to get different feed this time and quadrupel check tags.

But could this be why they arent laying yet?
I got em at 5wks and now they are 10wks. The breeder said hers lay 7-12wks but with so many peoples laying by this age i am wondering if i am having a problem?
((No animals bothering them. Light here is now sunrise 6am and sunset 8pm and the hutch gets as much light as possible. They have free access to water and feed. They have a dustbath. Temps arent cold here.))

The medicine is "lasalocid... 113 g/ton"

Medicated feed won't interfere with egg laying. If you feed it for extended periods of time it can cause sterility in poultry/fowl. It isn't the evil product that many people believe it to be, it has it's useful applications. You can substitute turkey starter for game bird starter since it is 28%. You can almost always find unmedicated turkey starter. I would try to have them off the medicated in the next month some time.

As far them not laying, sometimes they quit for weeks when you move them, sometimes genetically they aren't ready yet, etc. give it a little time and you'll see eggs. I don't worry about it until after they are 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom