Medicine for respiratory illness

A pet playpen tent in the basement. It was a teeny bit drafty down there so I blocked the drafts off today. I also put a small electric heater in the room and a dehumidifier to get any moisture. I changed the pine shavings back to paper towels, and they have a heat lamp and a brooder plate.
Hmm maybe something in your house? Air fresheners, flowers, dust, other pet dandruf...🤷‍♀️

Here is my thread about my chicks' illness: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-sneezing-often-respiratory-infection.1616430/

It started with one chick sneezing last night, then three more started sneezing this morning, and possibly some more by this afternoon, though I haven't counted. Wet, frequent sneezes, not a normal kind. The first chick that was sneezing last night sounds stuffy. None have any of the symptoms you listed as far as I know.

Ok.

If I were you, I'd get them out of the basement. There may be absolutely nothing wrong with it, it could be viral, as someone suggested. But if there is something environmental going on, it's the easiest thing to find out by moving them. Do you have a spare closet or space in a laundry room where they could stay?

That DAC medicine your mom had suggested to her sounds pretty good.

The problem with respiratory illness is that they can range from mild to deadly. Somewhere on here someone has a link to a symptom comparison chart. All those links are on my broken laptop so I'm trying to think of where it is.

If I were you, I'd get them out of the basement. There may be absolutely nothing wrong with it, it could be viral, as someone suggested. But if there is something environmental going on, it's the easiest thing to find out by moving them. Do you have a spare closet or space in a laundry room where they could stay?
We could move them, yes. This is the first year we've kept chicks in the basement and when our other set of chicks was upstairs they were perfectly healthy.

Back
Top Bottom