Meeting the Neighbors

Pyrates4Poultry

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Weed, California
Well come on down and meet the neighbors! We live on 29 fenced acres with plenty of room for our birds to roam. Neighbor #1 comes over a few minutes ago and scares the daylights out of me, I'm busy talking to Mister Magoo, our injured turkey. Introductions are made and she says do you have MORE turkeys??? Um, they are all at my house! I say you have chickens, right? She says yep, that's me. Guess your birds wanted to visit. So we go over and she has a son about 8 or 9 years old. He's up on an icechest on the porch with his feet tucked under him and says to me, they like toes!! LOL The biggest female we have, a broad breasted white is eyeballing him closely, hoping for a handout. Thanks are said and I look over at neighbor number #2 sitting on her porch with a cup of coffee in one hand, her other arm draped over her goat... So with my big stick and my arms flapping wildly, I herd them back across the street. crud...How embarrassing.

Sounds like a nice neighborhood...
highfive.gif
hugs.gif
frow.gif

ack again. community service just showed up. the guy was very nice but told me i must have a permit to keep turkeys in city limits. he said i'm not harassing you and its just a minimal fee but you must register them with the city... at least i dont have to tag them. will be doing that right away... what a morning! and you're right, great neighbors. i love where we live. we are in city limits but just barely. on our side of the street, its just us and a cemetery. the other side are small mill houses and so far all of the neighbors have been real friendly. i wonder who called the authorities on the birds? i hope they didnt terrify anyone!

At least you've got better neighbors than us! Our dachshund was outside when a thunderstorm blew up quickly & she got out of the yard. When we went looking for her, the neighbors acted like we were a nuisance more than anything. One had the audacity to look straight at my 7yr old daughter & say, yeah well we had a chicken go missing too, good luck, in a snide voice. While walking away, I told my daughter not to worry because it was probably Bolt (our GSD that got out with her, but came back) that took her chicken. Pretty sure I was right because Sasha came struggling back 3 days later surviving on grass & wetlands
wee.gif
Not that I care too much, judging by the way they treat their dogs, we wouldn't want to be friends with them anyways!

ack again. community service just showed up. the guy was very nice but told me i must have a permit to keep turkeys in city limits. he said i'm not harassing you and its just a minimal fee but you must register them with the city... at least i dont have to tag them. will be doing that right away... what a morning! and you're right, great neighbors. i love where we live. we are in city limits but just barely. on our side of the street, its just us and a cemetery. the other side are small mill houses and so far all of the neighbors have been real friendly. i wonder who called the authorities on the birds? i hope they didnt terrify anyone!
How long have you lived there? What is a mill house? Is that a standard rule in mst cities, that you have to register turkeys?

dunno the regulations but we are in city limits so i'll be finding out. we've been here 9 years, this is the first year with turkeys and i point blank asked if someone called and he said yes, one of your neighbors. so you're right not alot i can do about it but keep a closer watch...their free ranging the whole 29 acres is over though. oh and we live in a lumber town, weed california was founded by a lumber baron named abner weed. a mill house is a small home built back in the big lumber days (nearly 100 years ago) they had row upon row of these small houses for the workers and their families, they have become rentals. we are blessed to live in the "big house' the home abner built for his family. its 104 years old, 2 story on 29 acres with a creek running through it. beautiful place but the fences surrounding the property are as old as the house and were meant to keep cattle in, not turkeys. they do have two coops that are fenced properly, they just went for a little walkabout today, unsupervised while i was busy bathing a turkey that has an injured leg. (he fell in a fence post hole 2 weeks ago while i was working on new digs for them. it's been non stop fun around here!

Back
Top Bottom