Menagerie pre-guessing

slmwatts

Songster
7 Years
Sep 16, 2015
A friend gave me 50+ eggs to try for my first incubator hatching (in 2 bators). I’m on a mission for the rainbow egg basket. She said her hens are WTB, EE, OE, Prarie Bluebell, Starlight Green. But I saw a speckled Sussex when I picked up the eggs!🙂 Her Roos are WTB and EE. I probably won’t keep all the chicks that hatch. So A) I’d like to cull on what color eggs they’ll lay without waiting 6 months to know! Any suggestions? And B) My secondary cull would be on colorful/interesting plumage. How long till I have an idea of what they’ll look like?
C34CDD36-399C-4774-8871-493CE1052004.jpeg

If the only roosters are an EE and a WTB, then it is likely that all of these chicks will lay blue or green eggs. You may get a few browns, depending on the genetics of the EE rooster, but the WTB should pass on the blue egg gene to all of his chicks.

As far as plumage coloring goes, you can get an idea on cross bred chickens when they are young, but you won't know the full picture until they grow out a little. You're welcome to post pictures of the chicks in here and we will tell you what we can.

Best of luck on your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom