Merek's Disease

AmandaPsalms

Hatching
Feb 21, 2022
Almost a year ago I got additional chicks to add to my flock. 3 out of the 5 died from Merek's. One of the chicks that survived is a rooster. We are not allowed to have roosters in our neighboorhood. He has no signs of illness and is very healthy. It has almost been a year with no signs of Merek's Disease. Would it be safe to find another home for him? I do not want to find another home for him if it is possible he could spread the disease even if he does not have it. I would only want to find him another home if it would be completely safe for the chickens at his new home.

Marek's can live for surprisinly long periods on the grounds where it was once present. Even if your rooster is asymptomatic, it would be irresponsible to re-home him - or any bird - from your property.

"Once Mareks, always Mareks" seems to be the only safe assumption, absent a total cull and a complete decontamination of the grounds.

Did you get a necropsy to confirm that 1 of 3 chickens had Mareks? If you had Mareks, your rooster is a carrier for life. He may not get symptoms, but he could spread it to others. You environment may also be full of Mareks for months to years after the chickens are gone. It spreads through the dust and dander of chicken feathers, and is fairly impossible to contain.

I have a mareks flock, my procedure is a closed flock, none out and any incomng are vaccinated, yes adult birds can be vaccinated also. I don't rehome, if I did I would make sure they go to a mareks positive flock. Mareks isn't always a death sentence, my oldest is 15. So be honest with any you consider rehoming him with.

One of my hens is showing signs of mereks. She can't get up. But, she is eating and laying eggs. I know we will have to put her down soon, it just seems too early maybe.

I have 5 other chickens who aren't showing signs. Does it take longer in some? I just came back from a vacation to this and it's very sad.

Also, if I bring new hens in(after all are gone) vaccinating them will prevent this?

One of my hens is showing signs of mereks. She can't get up. But, she is eating and laying eggs. I know we will have to put her down soon, it just seems too early maybe.

I have 5 other chickens who aren't showing signs. Does it take longer in some? I just came back from a vacation to this and it's very sad.

Also, if I bring new hens in(after all are gone) vaccinating them will prevent this?

Yes, it can take Mareks a while to move thru the flock.

Bringing in vaccinated poultry will almost entirely prevent death, but won't prevent them from being carriers the rest of their lives.

Before you put the bird down, contanct your State lab, find out what their requirements are. You are going to want to send the corpse for testing to either confirm the Mareks diagnosis and then respond accordingly with the rest of your flock, or refute the Mareks suspicion, and take other actions.

Apart from that, I am NOT NOT NOT an expert on Poultry Injury or Disease. That's simply the recommend I've seen from others who are, and are active on this forum.

They would appreciate pictures, additional info re: Symptoms to assist you in diagnosis.
As you are in NC, and AI has been found there as well, I am sure the state lab will be MOST interested in assisting with the necropsy.

Post #7 and #9 in this thread have info on getting a living bird tested for Marek's disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/marek’s-test.1278708/

Vaccination does not prevent them from getting the disease, it just prevents them from developing the tumors associated with it, reducing mortality. The flock is considered carriers even though many may not show any symptoms. There are multiple strains of Marek's some are more virulent than others, mortality can be very variable among the different strains. The only way to know for sure if you have Marek's in your flock is to either have the test done or have a necropsy done to confirm it. There are other things that can mimic the symptoms of Marek's.

Last edited:
Yes, it can take Mareks a while to move thru the flock.

Bringing in vaccinated poultry will almost entirely prevent death, but won't prevent them from being carriers the rest of their lives.

Before you put the bird down, contanct your State lab, find out what their requirements are. You are going to want to send the corpse for testing to either confirm the Mareks diagnosis and then respond accordingly with the rest of your flock, or refute the Mareks suspicion, and take other actions.

Apart from that, I am NOT NOT NOT an expert on Poultry Injury or Disease. That's simply the recommend I've seen from others who are, and are active on this forum.

They would appreciate pictures, additional info re: Symptoms to assist you in diagnosis.
As you are in NC, and AI has been found there as well, I am sure the state lab will be MOST interested in assisting with the necropsy.
Thank you! She's wet from an Epsom salt soak...then I put her on the lawn to see if her leg would work. She can stand but not walk. Besides that she's the same hen. Chatty and eating all her food.

I'll contact the state.

Attachments

• IMG_20220223_121939.jpg
    IMG_20220223_121939.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 5

Have you had a mareks test? There's alot of things that cause those symptoms. Parasites, vitamin deficiencies are 2 things I consider first. I have a positive flock, my oldest is 15 years old. Dont believe everything you read online. I do vac any incomong irregardless of age. You can send of a test here http://www.vetdna.com/test-type/avian-bird

Back
Top Bottom