Mereks disease?

dskerns

Chirping
Jun 16, 2021
I had a almost 2 year old silkie hen that became a mom 10 days ago.She was acting totally fine and was still broody even after her baby was born.(laying down,not getting up,growling,etc.)2 days ago she was completely fine , then yesterday I came out to let the chickens out and she was acting weird.She was staggering,barely talking,she couldn’t walk when I let her out and when she tried she would fall on her wing.Recently we found out our chickens had lice but it had just started and so I treated them all and got rid of the lice and everyone was acting totally fine.I thought Mabye that was the problem until I remembered we had 4 other chickens die from the same exact symtoms she was showing.All 4 of those chickens Turned out to have mereks.But this has been almost a year ago since those chickens died.I was really hoping it wasn’t cause that would’ve meant the Baby would have it and I would have to keep the momma inside till the mereks killed her.I posted a backyard chickens forum about it and someone told me to try sugar water since she hasn’t ate in a while so I did.She started walking without staggering and drank a lot but no longer than 5 minutes later she started falling over and not talking to her baby anymore and closing her eyes and wouldn’t open them at all this lasted for about 15 minutes until she finally died.I’m worrying cause I didn’t clean the pen that she was in and then I put 2 of my boys in it without thinking.Im also worrying cause I’m rasing ther baby up and I’m already attached I just don’t want him to end up having mereks and I’m also bringing him around the other chickens .What could’ve caused this?Could it have been mereks?Do I need to even be worrying about mereks?Could mereks cause her to die directly after showing symtoms?

Step one - as @nuthatched says - confirm the Mareks.

That's a very serious diagnosis, and calls for some very serious decisions for you and your flock.

Step two - act accordingly. Some people choose to maintain a Marek's exposed flock, and make sure all new birds are vaccinated against it - making them carriers for life. Others cull the entire flock, clean thouroughly, and leave the ground empty for an extended period (typically, a year or more) before starting over.

That's a decision only you can make.

Step one - as @nuthatched says - confirm the Mareks.

That's a very serious diagnosis, and calls for some very serious decisions for you and your flock.

Step two - act accordingly. Some people choose to maintain a Marek's exposed flock, and make sure all new birds are vaccinated against it - making them carriers for life. Others cull the entire flock, clean thouroughly, and leave the ground empty for an extended period (typically, a year or more) before starting over.

That's a decision only you can make.
Do you think it was mereks?

Back
Top Bottom