Mereks??

Hmm...this does seem like quite the pickle. Unfortunately, in situations like this, I usually move on to a different breeder once the second replacement chicks bite the dust. Be very careful with the other chick breeds that you mentioned, as if they begin showing the
same signs its definetly something infectious (although I don't know of any disease other than Mareks that's cause this- and that usually shows up in older chickens). It could be the result of the breeders breeding flock inbreeding, as I've done some research and found that the result is chicks that hatch malformed (abdomen doesn't fully close, etc). Continue bracing the straddled chickies legs and let us know if she starts to stand more, relies less on the brace, etc. I also looked up your feed and only found minor differences between yours and the one that I use for my flock. I really hope things start to improve for you!

Last edited:
Thanks! I am giving them too many vitamins between the Vitamin B 12 and the vitamin powder in their water? I an giving them B 12 1 cc 3x a day.

Wahoo! Both chicks are doing so much better today. Was actually able to put her back with her sisters! Such a sigh of relief:)

I am very glad it did not turn out to be something worse. WOW I would have been freaked out if one of my chicks had that happen.

Are you going to end up switching feed?

I looked the food up and it has everything that they need. I have just started putting the B12 in everyone's water. We all can benefit from a B12 ha!

It would also be a good idea to treat the chicks for Coccidia. Don't give the coccidian treatment at the same time you are giving vitamins or it will be ineffective.

Marek's takes 6 or more weeks to develop in the chick and start to show symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom