Merging 2 flocks both with mature roosters?

Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Aledo, TX
Hi all,
I am moving to a new home that has a teeny little flock (3) already established. The roo is a 2-3 year old game(hatch?)/barred rock cross and he has 2 barred rock hens.

My flock has a 1 year old EE/Golden Comet cross roo and his nine 1.5 year old hens of varying breeds, (rainbow pullet surprise).

My roo did kill two of my 'slip' capons that were showing interest in his girls and one of DD's Sultan roos the night we left the Sultan trio's pen unlocked.

But I am wondering if they can cohabitate peacefully if there will be 2 roos and 11 hens and they free-range during the day. I really think part of my roo's issue was the cramped quarters (10x20 with 25 birds in it.)

Any insight or experience you can share would be helpful.

I have 2 flocks that are allowed to free range together during the day. The younger but bigger BCM roo chases the older EE roo away and is surely the more dominant of the two but he has not hurt him. When I hatched 14 eggs 8 weeks ago, it's interesting to see now that the EE roo has mated with the BCMs "flock". I bet he doesn't even suspect it.
lau.gif

A rooster that has already killed other roosters introduced to a game cross? Ain't gonna work regardless of how much room they have. One will be killed.

I have games and game crosses (latter involving American dominique). There will almost certainly be a scrap possibly with both roosters looking like something the cat coughed up once dust settles. Co-existance thereafter is a distinct possibility. Neither rooster is likely to be game (in respect to not willing to give up) so one or both will back down if scrap goes long enough. Based on situation as described for Sultan, the harm he caused may very well be a function of the conditions where losses were observed. In a free range setting, backing down and running are viable options. It may take a few days following scrap but the resulting dominant rooster will eventually tolerate the other at perimmeter of flock. I would surpervise scrap to ensure nobody seriously hurt. I have been able to shorten duration of scraps between non-game roosters using water. Getting them wet reduces their flogging ability and otherwise makes them tire faster making real damage being done less likely. It is in my opinion less stressful on birds that are disciplined with a broom for being man-fighters.

Well, I guess my options are to process the old roo or get out the hose. I will try the hose and see if they can reach a truce. Otherwise we'll be having rooster and dumplings this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom