merging chicks under a broody

jaxchic

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 9, 2013
Florida
I have two broody hens. One, my dear sweet Hoppy, had a babe born on the 30th, the 1st, the 3rd, and the 7th.
The hen out in the coop just hatched one today (the 14th), and has two more due any moment now.
I don't want babies in that coop because it isn't made for babies, and most of all because that hen doesn't like people. Which means I won't be able to handle the chicks and they will grow up scared of us. I would love Hoppy to raise all the babies.
I took the chick from the coop and put it under Hop and she snuggled it under her.
I'm not worried about her accepting the chicks because she is so sweet, I am more worried about the chicks all getting along.
Will it be okay to mix chicks 2 weeks apart or so under the same mama? Will the lil new babes be able to keep up with the older siblings? So far the chicks are very nice to each other, no pecking or plucking at all in any way.

The kids all piled around mom (she isn't their real mother btw)

Older chick n new chick

Last edited:
If they get along so far they should continue to do so. Biggest concern is that the older chicks don't trample the the new chicks at feeding & sleeping time.

Back
Top Bottom