Merging Flock into One Coop

BusyBeeDee73

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
We are just about finished with out coop. As scared as I am to move my babies out of my garage it’s time. Overdue for some I had them in two separate areas. They see each other but never without something between them. There’s no pecking order established being this will be new a new home to all of them. I think they are all sweet and loving birds. Some say they are young and should not be an issue. Your thoughts ?

I've had a two week old kill its sibling. No integrating and the same age. Anything is possible so pay attention. I don't know how big the coop is, how many chicks you have, or how old they are but if they have been where they can see each other I'd absolutely try it. You might be surprised at how easy it is.

I've had a two week old kill its sibling. No integrating and the same age. Anything is possible so pay attention. I don't know how big the coop is, how many chicks you have, or how old they are but if they have been where they can see each other I'd absolutely try it. You might be surprised at how easy it is.
They are 10-14 weeks old. Coop is 8x12 12x18 run I have 24 girls. Four of each breed. Orpington Buff and Lavender, ISA Browns, Plymouth Barred Rock, Ayami Cermani and Blue Australorps

Sounds like one group of 10-week-olds and one group aged 14 weeks. That's not a lot of extra room for that many birds, especially outside, but I think you have a decent chance.

I'd try it, the sooner the better, but on a day you can observe them. Others will have different opinions but I'd set it up with three food and water stations, one inside the coop and two in opposite corners outside so they can all eat without being bullied. That run is small enough that I'd want something blocking line of sight between the feed and water stations outside. That might be a square bale of hay, a table or something laying on its side, whatever you have.

Personally I'd put them out fairly early so I could observe during the day. Just see what happens. I'd expect that each of the two groups will hang by themselves so don't worry about that. I can't give you any guarantees but it is quite possible your biggest problem will be getting them all in the coop to sleep at night. Hope that's the worst anyway.

My broods are usually in the range of 20 chicks. I often have to lock them in the coop at night for several nights in a row before they learn to put themselves to bed in there, even if I house them all in the coop section only for a week or more. I wait until it is dark so they are easy to catch. 24 sounds like a lot to do that but you can manage. I would not house them all in the coop section only at first since you are doing an integration and the extra room could be essential.

The first mornings after you lock them in I'd be down there at first light to see how it is going. You may need to open the pop door to let them out if it is getting active inside. If you consider the run predator proof you don't have to lock them in the coop at night. At those ages they should be able to handle your weather at night, but I would want them to be able to avoid rain.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

Update: They haven’t killed each other but my older girls kinda bully the younger ones every now and then. One of my younger girls seems scared to enjoy chess Ming out in the run

Back
Top Bottom