~Mermaiding~

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Recently I got into mermaiding. I was wondering if anyone else is into mermaiding or if you have at least heard of it?

Since I am a beginner, I have a fabric tail with a finis rapid monofin inside the fluke for propulsion. I have been swimming in the monofin twice and swam in the tail once. The fabric tail I made after looking on the Mernetwork forum for instructions on sewing your own fabric tail. I used a sewing machine to put the tail together. I am not finished painting it yet, I just ordered more paint tonight, but I am using Jacquard Lumiere fabric paint for the scales. I need to make it tighter. You are supposed to use 4 way stretch swimwear fabric for a tail, but I used a 4 way stretch fabric that isn't swimwear. It is more of a cotton fabric and so I think that was a bad decision. I should have held out and ordered some nice material online since the local Jo Anne's doesn't have a wide selection of swimwear fabric - at least not when I went.

Usually as a new mermaid (or merman there are a few mermen out there) you should have a fabric tail. Fabric tails are the cheapest and easiest to get used to. Then you can get into the more expensive tails such as a neoprene tail covered in cartwright shell sequins, a latex tail, or a silicone tail. Silicone tails are very popular but they are also one of the most expensive options. People with no previous sculpting or molding experience have successfully made their own silicone tail out of dragon skin silicone. If you don't want to tackle such a huge undertaking, you can send your design idea to a tail making company, and yes there are several mermaid tail makers out there: Mertailor, Finfolk, Merbellas, Flip Tails, just to name a few.

You can make this hobby as cheep or as expensive as you want, but it is hard not to be drawn to the beautiful silicone tails and yearn for one. You can also take this hobby as far as you want. Some people have turned it into a business like Mermaid Raven who started Merbellas and is always making & selling amazing silicone tails for people. Some use mermaiding as a way to spread the word on conserving the ocean. My favorite mermaid, Mermaid Hannah AKA Hannah Frasser is big on conservation. Often mermaids do mermaid gigs for kid's parties where they get paid to swim with the kids, do tricks, and do fun aquatic themed activities with them and sometimes teach them about aquatic life.

Anyways, silly me decided to finally dive into mermaiding during the dead of winter, so I have only been swimming in the college's indoor pool. The weather is warming up and I am excited to go swimming at the beach as soon as I can!

Here are photos of my tail. Like I said I still need to paint it some more. One side is done and the other side isn't haha.

This has been a very fun hobby so far. Even if you just bought a monofin to swim with, you would have loads of fun. You also get an insane workout swimming this way.

I know this might be a bit of an odd hobby, but it is a great creative outlet, fun, gives you a good workout, etc. Don't knock it until you try it.
smile.png

Thanks I am thinking about already making a second tail. Hopefully the fabric I just bought will come in soon. Here is the spandex 4 way stretch fabric I just bought online:

My first tail was a trial tail, and I made the mistake of using the wrong fabric as well as not making the tail tight enough, so I am ready to see if I can do a better job on a new tail. Since the fabric stretches I think it is best to make the measurements just a bit smaller than your actual measurements so that it fits really well. The silicone tails fit so well that most people have to use lotion or something to get them on and it can take at least 5 minutes to get one of those on. It is good to have them fit like a glove though. Otherwise you can have issues with drag.

This is quite interesting. I have never heard of this as a hobby. I have been to restaurants where mermaids swim in a tank as part of the entertainment. What inspires one to do this?

Jeff

Many of today's merfolk grew up watching the movie Splash, the Little Mermaid, etc so it is somewhat of a childhood dream come true to find out they could make their own tail and become a 'real' mermaid or merman. Most of us always liked mermaids. Some grew up trying to tie their feet together to be a mermaid. I was swimming since I was a baby in the pool and would pretend with my friends to be a mermaid. I always loved swimming and loved the water, but I was more interested in animals and birds so I never thought much about mermaids. Eventually I stumbled upon a mermaid forum called mernetwork: http://mernetwork.com/index/forum.php

I thought it was a cool idea and it spoke to my creative side, but I wasn't exactly sold on it so I didn't go for it until recently. I just thought it might be fun. So I bought a finis rapid monofin and since I got it during the wintertime I went to an indoor pool to try it out. It is a big workout, but it is probably the most fun workout you will ever have. I really enjoyed swimming with the monofin so then I was definitely hooked on mermaiding. Most mers are very creative and artistic, so it is fun seeing everyone's unique tails and tops and seashell crowns, etc. I live near the beach so I am looking forward to swimming in the sea with my tail.

To many people, mermaiding is a hobby, but to some it is a small business or even a large business. You can take it as far as you want as long as you have the talent and people willing to buy from you.

My favorite mermaids are Mermaid Hannah & Mermaid Kariel.

Mermaid Hannah: https://www.facebook.com/HannahMermaid She has swam with a great white, tiger sharks, manta rays, whale sharks, etc. She is big on promoting ocean conservation and she makes all of the tails she wears. Her tails have tons of sequins sewn onto them by hand.

Mermaid Kariel: https://www.facebook.com/MermaidKarielsWorld She lives in Hawaii and does mermaid shows at resorts. She just hired other experienced mermaids to join her team or pod I should say haha. Kariel also makes her own tails. The body is neoprene with sequins sewn on and the fluke and fins are made of silicone. She makes silicone fins for Mermaid Hannah to put onto her own tails.

Back
Top Bottom