Metal Chicken Tractor From Murray Mcmurray - Review!

I don't see anything about water. Which is the biggest challenge I am having with my tractors. We've tried several hanging waterers, and they all have flaws.

I don't see anything about water. Which is the biggest challenge I am having with my tractors. We've tried several hanging waterers, and they all have flaws.
What a coincidence! I just installed the two cup watering system, which can be ordered with the coop. Here are some pictures I just took today.

Have you checked the temp inside to confirm this?
I haven't yet checked the exact temperature, but whenever I open the door on a hot day, I get a delicious breeze of noticeably cooler air. Furthermore, the hens are always in the sheltered portion at the hottest time of the day, proving that the reflective metal keeps them cool.

What a coincidence! I just installed the two cup watering system, which can be ordered with the coop. Here are some pictures I just took today.

Thanks for sharing this :) I have thought about putting something on top of our tractors to hold the water. For now we are using hanging 2-liter bottles with the chicken nipple drinkers on them, but they are too low. I think since we are building several more we will simply make them taller so the water hangs at the right height.

I'm interested to see how the cups work. My girls seem to get EVERYTHING covered in poop if possible. We tried the pop bottle founts that stick in through the outside, and they got those covered in poop immediately. *sigh*

Originally Posted by aart

Have you checked the temp inside to confirm this?
I haven't yet checked the exact temperature, but whenever I open the door on a hot day, I get a delicious breeze of noticeably cooler air. Furthermore, the hens are always in the sheltered portion at the hottest time of the day, proving that the reflective metal keeps them cool.
I would agree, that pretty much proves it. Good News!

Thanks for sharing this :) I have thought about putting something on top of our tractors to hold the water. For now we are using hanging 2-liter bottles with the chicken nipple drinkers on them, but they are too low. I think since we are building several more we will simply make them taller so the water hangs at the right height.

I'm interested to see how the cups work. My girls seem to get EVERYTHING covered in poop if possible. We tried the pop bottle founts that stick in through the outside, and they got those covered in poop immediately. *sigh*
The drinking cups work very simply. When the a chicken puts it's head into the cup to get some water at the bottom, it accidentally pushes down that little yellow lever, turning on a flow of water as the bird drinks.

How high are you putting your pop bottle founts? You poop problems may be because you are putting the founts too low. I installed my trigger cups 10.5" high for standard sized chickens. I have not had any problems with poop in the cups yet. The great thing about these cups is the quick release feature. When any dirt gets in and fowls the water, it is very easy to remove the orange piece and wash it out.

Last edited:
I would really appreciate it if you could post some more detailed photos of the feeder and the hinge system. Do you have any problems with the food getting wet? Feeder clean-out issues? Thanks so much!

I would really appreciate it if you could post some more detailed photos of the feeder and the hinge system. Do you have any problems with the food getting wet? Feeder clean-out issues? Thanks so much!

If you do get one of these tractors, I would recommend that you use a feeder inside the coop as the built in one does actually leak in heavier rains. I've actually found this tractor to be best as a grow out pen for birds between 6 and 14 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom