Methods for keeping water from freezing

RonP I'm not using a heat lamp in my hen house I'm using a 250 watt bird bath heater 0r tank heater for the water that's all you mentioned there are better ways but did not elaborate ?

Sorry, I misread your post.

Heating lamps also come in 250 and 125 watt versions.

I didn't mention it because "cookie tin heaters" were already mentioned.

I have sucessfully used one for many years, and have not found a safer way to heat water while using electricity.

My concerns are with "anything" near or submerged in water, and any heating element accidently running out of water.

As are all mechanical devices, thermostats have been known to fail...

So I found a fix... We've been freezing with sub 0 temps off and on for weeks here in Utah and no frozen waterer or nipples. My setup is such that I have to have my water station outside in my covered run, not coop.
I love my Brite Tap really wanted to use it. (No open water for the girls to fling or step in...)
I know this is NOT recommended by Brite Tap or Easy Tape but it's working like a charm!
I wrapped a 3ft length of heat tape around the Brite Taps front box and secured it with zip ties. The heat tape kicks on at Aprox 38' there is a built in thermostat that needs to be placed against a pipe- so I provided a short piece of pipe. It's not pretty but the girls don't seem to bother it at all.
It doesn't get hot just warm and keeps the water and nipples from freezing. The plug to the heat tape even has a light so I know if the power goes off or the unit fails-
Been using it for a about 6 weeks, I check on it and my hens several times a day- so far so good! No more worry. No more getting up in the wee hours of the morning to carry water out to the girls!

All is well- we're getting 5 eggs a day from our 6 hens!!! :)

Hi there, I realize this is an old post but hoping you can tell me what brand of heater you use? I also have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples on the bottom and my husband is worried the heavy duty pond de-icers are too powerful and too large. Thank you, Deb

Where do you put the bucket so they can reach the water. We have ducks and I am trying to figure out a watering system for winter! I have thought of the big buckets but if we put it on the ground they can't reach into it....

Hi, Tractor supply has a 9 qt. heated water bucket for $30. 50 watt. The cord is six feet long completely covered in wire to prevent any damage to the cord. It's normally for horses. I have two of them. I have both bantam and standard and they all do fine with it. I use a piece of 4x4 for my bantams on one side as a perch. I don't know if that will help you or not.
Do you have a picture?? I need a visual. LOL. We are trying to figure out something for our ducks. Thank you!

I been wondering this our weather is mild but still gets down to the 15 some days and some nights for weeks at at time. And so far i havent seen any winter waters at tcs or any feed store so i dont know what to do on that. I going to have two kids to handle come december or november so i wont be able to take water out depending on my condition after birth and i cant say my husband would be reliable on this since i handle the yard, house, animals, and our kids since he doesnt and when i havent it goes for months looking ugly so yeah there that.

Hi there, I realize this is an old post but hoping you can tell me what brand of heater you use?  I also have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples on the bottom and my husband is worried the heavy duty pond de-icers are too powerful and too large.  Thank you, Deb

Deb, sorry I just saw your question. I'll check in the morning- we got it at Ace Hardware.
Dawn

Last winter we split our coops in half. Then we have lots of insulasion on the coop. Then we put a heat lamp on the roof. It kept the coop just above freezing almost everyday except when it was -20c. That kept the water liquid! You can also put mineral salts in the water and it won't freeze so easy.

Stay warm!

Last winter we split our coops in half. Then we have lots of insulasion on the coop. Then we put a heat lamp on the roof. It kept the coop just above freezing almost everyday except when it was -20c. That kept the water liquid! You can also put mineral salts in the water and it won't freeze so easy.

Stay warm!

Would you care to elaborate on adding mineral salts to the drinking water?

Back
Top Bottom