Metronidazole for canker

chickiemama27

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2017
I think one of my little Pullets has canker. I was reading that you can treat it with metronidazole. She’s probably only weighing in at a quarter of a pound. Any suggestions on how to treat her for possible canker?

Attachments

• 1540DB9A-C341-42C9-AB1B-A0CB529CB24D.jpeg
    1540DB9A-C341-42C9-AB1B-A0CB529CB24D.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 44
Very helpful! Thank you!
I’ve been reading about canker and wondering if you can give any clarity. Can canker actually be cured? I’ve read in some places that a hen or roo will be a carrier even if treated?

Also wonder if the canker plaques disappear on their own? How do they go away? Do they need to be removed?
Thank you!

The medication will make them shrink and disappear. Birds with canker remain carriers for life. It is spread via waterers to other birds.
You can keep it in check by administering acidified copper sulfate in waterers. Use plastic waterers and dont overdose.
Here's a link where you can buy it and then a link how to administer it:
https://www.jefferspet.com/acidified-copper-sulfate/p

Please read posts #11, #15, #38.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wet-pox.1526869/page-2
Thank you! I so appreciate you taking the time to share. I’m poor at navigating this board but folks have always been so helpful and the links you shared were informative.

So question on the copper sulfate. My bird is very small. She’s a bantam crossed with a standard polish and just about 7 weeks old. I’m very afraid of overdosing her. So she’s considerably less than 1 lb. Am I still able to give her that amount of copper sulfate in the waterer? Even as little as she is?

Thank you! I so appreciate you taking the time to share. I’m poor at navigating this board but folks have always been so helpful and the links you shared were informative.

So question on the copper sulfate. My bird is very small. She’s a bantam crossed with a standard polish and just about 7 weeks old. I’m very afraid of overdosing her. So she’s considerably less than 1 lb. Am I still able to give her that amount of copper sulfate in the waterer? Even as little as she is?
You have a good point. It would be best to use the Ronidazole and skip the acidified copper sulfate. However, keep her separated from the rest of your birds including while treating her.
Continue with monthly treatments with Ronidazole to keep it in check. Your other option is to cull her and bury her away from your flock because you dont want it to spread through your flock.

You have a good point. It would be best to use the Ronidazole and skip the acidified copper sulfate. However, keep her separated from the rest of your birds including while treating her.
Continue with monthly treatments with Ronidazole to keep it in check. Your other option is to cull her and bury her away from your flock because you dont want it to spread through your flock.
Thank you. But hasn’t she already exposed the flock? Since she’s been undetected and drinking from the same waterer? I’m starting to wonder if it’s not canker and maybe a tumor. Tried last week to get her into our local Avian Vet but our appt isn’t until August 6th. Not sure we have that much time.

Back
Top Bottom