Metzer Farms quality...

Thank you for your kind words.
Tevyes Dad is spot on with the description on how they are shipped.
I do not know if ChinoChix hatched Blue or Black Swedish eggs. Interestingly, about 15-20% of the Black Swedish ducklings that hatch are "blonde" or Pekin appearing. I thought we may have had something strange going on so I contacted Dave Holderread (waterfowl genetic expert) and he was not surprised. It has to do with the genetic background of the Black Swedish. So those white Black Swedish are put in our Mixed Duckling boxes destined for feed stores. They are perfectly healthy, just the "wrong" color.
Glad you are enjoying your birds!!
John

I enjoy all my metzer waterfowl. They have been healthy, friendly egg laying machines. For runners, because it is the uprightness that I enjoy about the bird, I would continue to buy from Holderread. Even after buying from Dave, I have still bought from Metzers because I can count on their birds to be what I want them to be... beautiful healthy ducks that lay eggs and entertain me to no end. I have also found their customer service to be friendly and helpful, which for me, is a huge plus.

John, I appreciate the wealth of information you freely make available to those of us interested in your work and insights.

I love the information Metzer provides. Under the Duck Information tab they have the following information: Breed, Temperament, Weight, Egg Prod., Mothering, Bluish Eggs, Egg Size, Fertility, APA Class, Foraging Ability, ALBC Status, Our Show Quality, Flying Ability, Origin. It is so easy to see the differences in the breeds, and the information looks to be extremely honest and I believe the info is based mostly on their own stock.

For example, want show quality birds, most of their birds are listed as average, probably you can show them but you will likely be in the middle of the pack when the judging is done. But the Cayugas are listed as Excellent Color, Good Type. Want a runner that lays bluish eggs, choose the Chocolate Runner. With all this information you can really choose a duck that will fit in your situation. And the ability to order by sex is fantastic. Small orders are also possible.

On the other hand Holderreads is also equally honest about their stock. And while they do not currently show the birds they are certainly experts and have impressive wins in the past and others showing birds from them win consistently.

I have never read anything on the BYC forums that indicates anybody has been less than happy with health and vigor of birds they have ordered from either hatchery.

I have the utmost respect and awe for both hatcheries.

I have received 3 shipments with 15 ducks over the last couple years and have another shipment coming next week. All from Metzer's, all of them were sexed and the sexing was 100% correct. They all arrived alive and healthy. Feel free to look through my albums. All the ducks I have/had except for the 2 female Rouens are from Metzer - My Rouen Drake is from Metzer. I have most of the actual breeds (not the hybrids) that they have, so you can get an idea of many of them at various ages - the majority of them are now 2 years old. I don't have them for show - they are spoiled pets. Their customers service has always been tip top and I would recommend them to anyone. Probably most of my ducks aren't show quality, but my Welsh Harlequin is absolutely gorgeous and definitely does her breed proud.

My WH Rhiannon

My two boys, Tevye and Kaine

@Metzer Farms Feel free to use any of these how you please, I would be honored, they are ducks from your hatchery.

Edit: And I almost forgot one very important thing... When we got our first two ducks (the non-Metzer Rouens), we were absolutely clueless. Every question I had I Googled and nearly every time the results lead me to BYC. BYC is a resource of incalculable value and a fantastic forum for anything fowl. The reason I placed my very first order with Metzer is because they were a top sponsor of BYC. I figured I had already gotten a quality product partially because of them (BYC), they deserved my initial order. My subsequent orders were with them because you don't mess with delighted.

Final Edit: I received that 4th shipment and they were all beautiful
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I can't speak for their quailty yet.......but there customer service is the best. I got to speak to John Metzer the other day. He is so smart and knowledgable about everything. I will likely order from them in 2012 also.

I love my Mezer babies. They are healthy and the clowns of my flock. Granted my Runners are not as standup as they should be compared to my drake who I got from another BYC person and he is a Holderreads Runner. He is very tall compared to my females from Metzers...but them again they are still only 5 months old. Metzers will sex your duck wich is a BONUS..you get what you ask for, but Holderreads dont sex their ducks. I am ordering Holderreads Runners this year (Money is being sent today), granted I get what I am given. Its up to you if you want hatchery birds or better quality birds. Good Luck in what ever you do. Calculate 10 birds with shipping from Metzers and do the same with Holderreads...there isnt much difference really.

I love my metzer ducks, but there is a huge difference in type, at least in runners, between metzers and holderreads.

Here's Choopiter, a metzer runner

P1010193.jpg

And Molly, another metzer runner

Molly-1.jpg

Here are Holderread runners:

073.jpg

003.jpg

P1010341.jpg

Except for the black runners, I bought his cheapest adult birds.

Back
Top Bottom