Metzer Farms Review(s)

Just received another fantastic group of ducklings from Metzer this past Friday. I live in super-rural Maine, so it's always a nail-biter. Last year the ducklings missed their truck in the "big" city and I had to drive two hours to get them. This year it all went perfectly! I opened the box to four bright-eyed happy little girls.

For whatever reason, this is also the calmest, friendliest group I've had. They love to be held and are quite secure about life, unlike previous groups who were nervous. Maybe breed plays a part (Pekin, Silver Appleyard, Saxony, and White Crested). regardless, I am so happy with them!

now if I could just get their older siblings to come in off the &%% pond....

Oh Thank you Miss Lydia for the picture of them!!!!! The one is having trouble with diarrhea but the other one is just fine. Hopefully it will clear up. They are soooo tiny and sooooo cute. Metzer farms has a wonderful stock of birds. I love them!!!
How is your little duck doing that was sick?

Oh no, is it still having diarrhea? Is it eating and drinking? Can you see if there's a visible problem with its legs?

Oh no, is it still having diarrhea? Is it eating and drinking? Can you see if there's a visible problem with its legs?
Yes it still has a bad pasty butt and the leg is totally unusable. It just hangs there. It hasn't grown any since I got it but is still eating some and drinking. I am trying everything I can think of. I have no vet for it and it just isn't making any progress at all it seems.

Can you find another duckling locally to put with them for now in case that one doesn't make it? You don't want to have an only duckling. I'm sorry it's having such a hard time. I did get a black swedish duckling last year that initially seemed fine, but ended up struggling, not growing, and it had pasty butt. I tried everything but it passed. Metzer replaced it but I was only able to get it two weeks later and ended up having to have two brooders because the birds were so different sized. Maybe with calls it would be easier.

Can you find another duckling locally to put with them for now in case that one doesn't make it? You don't want to have an only duckling. I'm sorry it's having such a hard time. I did get a black swedish duckling last year that initially seemed fine, but ended up struggling, not growing, and it had pasty butt. I tried everything but it passed. Metzer replaced it but I was only able to get it two weeks later and ended up having to have two brooders because the birds were so different sized. Maybe with calls it would be easier.
I have raised a single duckling before with a Mirror and stuffed animal. I didn't want two more ducks if I ordered another one so I have chose to do it this way as I already have 15 in the backyard. I just pray it will get better but it doesn't seem to be. I have ordered Brewers yeast for it and it is on a probiotic in the water right now plus I ordered some Niacin for it too. They should be here soon. I am trying everything I can think of but with this pasty butt going on nothing seems to be helping it. Thanks for your concerns though.

Back
Top Bottom