Meyer Hatchery - 4 of 15 chicks dead

OMG, I am really nervous now. I ordered 15 to be delivered at the end of October. Hopefully it won't be too cold, my son will be devastated if they don't make it here safe and sound.

OMG, I am really nervous now. I ordered 15 to be delivered at the end of October. Hopefully it won't be too cold, my son will be devastated if they don't make it here safe and sound.

You probably are a bit better off than those of us who order only 3 or 4. Your 15 will generally help keep one another warm. How old is your son? Is he old enough to talk to him about how fragile these little things are so he has a little preparation in case one doesn't make it (either from shipping or in the early weeks?)

You probably are a bit better off than those of us who order only 3 or 4. Your 15 will generally help keep one another warm. How old is your son? Is he old enough to talk to him about how fragile these little things are so he has a little preparation in case one doesn't make it (either from shipping or in the early weeks?)

He's 12, he does have a learning disability. He knows that if something dies it doesn't come back but he doesn't understand death. I will have to do some preparation with him. If I spend time and really explain it to him, he usually deals with the what ever the issue is pretty good. I'm just worried that the chicks will get lost in the mail and all arrive dead, he is so excited to get them. I guess we'll say a little prayer, keep our fingers crossed and hope it all goes well.

Just wondering...is there any other way to have chicks and ducks transported than USPS?

I do want to say that I don't have any qualms about Meyer Hatchery. They have been great! Once the little ones leave the hatchery Meyer really doesn't have any control over the shipping. It must have something to do with the USPS. I have had frozen dog sperm shipped across county and it has to arrive within 24 hrs. We always got it in time with USPS. It doesn't seem like they have the work force they once had and are not handling live animals very well.

Still trying to figure out if I should keep or cancel the chicks due to be shipped on 9/23, or cancel and order in the Spring. If I added 2 ducklings to the order, would that help? I'm just not sure it's all about the weather. Wish I could find the Lavender Orps at a farm near me. Our farm store can't order that breed.
bow.gif

~Connie

Sept 23 should not be that cold yet in most places, do you have any idea of the route the chicks will take to you?
So far as I know none of the other big delivery services UPS, Fed Ex etc will ship chicks. Private individuals can ship adult birds by plane (they say pets or exhibition birds) and there are some private courier / pet transport services that will, but they are all of course really expensive.

Sept 23 should not be that cold yet in most places, do you have any idea of the route the chicks will take to you?
So far as I know none of the other big delivery services UPS, Fed Ex etc will ship chicks. Private individuals can ship adult birds by plane (they say pets or exhibition birds) and there are some private courier / pet transport services that will, but they are all of course really expensive.
No, I never got the tracking info on them. Maybe Meyer has it. I just assumed it would go straight from Ohio to Seattle, but that might not have been the case.

I do wish there was someone close to me. I'd be happy to go and pick them up if they were 2 or 3 hrs from me.

I was thinking it shouldn't be that cold in most places by the end of the month. It won't be here. But if the package goes to other cities, who knows.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it!

Connie

My chicks came into the PO at 6am and I was called right away. Took me 10 minutes to get there. Maybe you could go and pick your chicks up, by yourself, and assess the situation before you take the chicks home? I know I was heartbroken to see those little ones. I can only imagine how it would be for a child.

~Connie

Sorry...this was supposed to be attached to jdoane's post

Last edited:
He's 12, he does have a learning disability. He knows that if something dies it doesn't come back but he doesn't understand death. I will have to do some preparation with him. If I spend time and really explain it to him, he usually deals with the what ever the issue is pretty good. I'm just worried that the chicks will get lost in the mail and all arrive dead, he is so excited to get them. I guess we'll say a little prayer, keep our fingers crossed and hope it all goes well.

Thats what I did with my girl (10 &12). They also happened to be at daycamp when the chicks arrived so I got to open the box myself. Just in case. Didn't plan it that way but... still have to keep reminding them that we're not out of the woods in terms of health and possible rooster (we'd have to rehome)

Just a side note for you. My 10 year old has some challenges (adhd and attachment disordsr). The chicks have worked wonders! I had not even thought of that side benefit as our dog and cat don't help calm her, we joke that even if they never lay eggs they have already paid us back jn full! ;)

Back
Top Bottom