Mice in the chicken run! How do I eliminate them?

JulietsMomma

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
I have my coops inside a closed run. I let my chickens free range most of the time unless the weather is bad or there’s more hawks in the area than normal. It’s getting colder though and for the past 3 weeks, I keep seeing mice in the run at night. They’re not in the coop that I’ve seen, just the run. I want them gone. Should I place traps out at night and remove them before the chickens come out in the mornings or is there a quicker and safer solution?

First, I would figure out how they're getting into the run in the first place. Is your run made from 1/4 inch hardware cloth? Is it fully enclosed?

If it is, and mice are still getting in, that means you've probably got a hole somewhere. Other predators, such as weasels, could go through the same gaps and end up in your run.

I'm not sure about methods for getting rid of them, other than trapping, since I haven't had to deal with this specific problem before. Others will likely have some good suggestions, though.

If you spray a solution of water and peppermint oil around the run it will keep them out, but you have to reapply every week.

Try using the water bucket method to trap them rather than one at a time traps. It is mentioned on this board, you could also look on YouTube.com

You are going to have to find their secret entrance.

First, I would figure out how they're getting into the run in the first place. Is your run made from 1/4 inch hardware cloth? Is it fully enclosed?

If it is, and mice are still getting in, that means you've probably got a hole somewhere. Other predators, such as weasels, could go through the same gaps and end up in your run.

I'm not sure about methods for getting rid of them, other than trapping, since I haven't had to deal with this specific problem before. Others will likely have some good suggestions, though.
I don’t have the hardware cloth on my runs yet. They’re just temporary until we get done building the permanent one. I do have my coops completely predator proof, though. I usually leave the run door open so if the chickens wanted to go inside due to weather, they can. I’ve been reading that people place traps and use peppermint oil so I’m thinking of trying it.

I loathe mice, haha.

You can buy battery-operated, fully enclosed mousetraps at TSC; they're expensive but reusable and chickens can't get hurt by them.

I also use the old-fashioned snap traps baited with peanut butter, BUT I always put them inside a small, disposable-type cardboard container (shoe box, cracker box, etc) with enough inside clearance for the snap mechanism to work fully. Cut a very small mouse-sized opening at floor level on one side of the box, and leave a closable flap on the box to insert the set trap. Place box along one edge of the run where you think meece are coming in with the meece hole accessible. Trap is then fully contained, meece go inside and get caught, but chickens can't get to it.

You can buy battery-operated, fully enclosed mousetraps at TSC; they're expensive but reusable and chickens can't get hurt by them.

I also use the old-fashioned snap traps baited with peanut butter, BUT I always put them inside a small, disposable-type cardboard container (shoe box, cracker box, etc) with enough inside clearance for the snap mechanism to work fully. Cut a very small mouse-sized opening at floor level on one side of the box, and leave a closable flap on the box to insert the set trap. Place box along one edge of the run where you think meece are coming in with the meece hole accessible. Trap is then fully contained, meece go inside and get caught, but chickens can't get to it.
Thank you so much! I’ll get some of those and give it a try.

I am not recommend battery operated zap/shock trap. It doesn't work most of the time and cost too much. Just use easy set live trap (pull level on top back and set the trap) with small holes. You can cover the trap with wooden box or paper box with holes to enter the trap.
https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-108...easy+set+live+animal+trap,aps,132&sr=8-6&th=1

Last edited:
all traps and poisons work a short while till the rodents wise up. Search this forum for Howard E.'s posts on rodent control. Short version is bulk feed in metal barrels or a trash can with tight fitting lid, buy a proper treadle feeder that has a spring loaded door that swings inward, and clean up all the access routes so the predators have a shot at keeping the population down.

Second line of attack is what people are recommending, exclusion. Hardware cloth. Can work but expensive.

The last line of defense is elimination, poisons and traps. A never ending expense.

To simply put it, stop feeding the rats and the population will collapse and maybe a few can survive but if they can't get to your feed they will have to hustle for the living and face predators.

Back
Top Bottom