Mice?

My chickens definitely eat mice. My Delaware LOVES them. You can send them this picture.

However did you get that picture? There is no way I could catch one of mine with a prize like that. LOL I am sure my neighbor would laugh his butt off at me chasing a hen while she has such a wonderful prize.
I have seen mine catch mice.

My girls are champion killers of mice and voles. Also, I see that you are in Illinois. I don't know about how much the weather differs, but here in Kentucky there's been a huge explosion in the mouse population due to last year's mild winter. I've been at war with the little boogers around my coop. But it's not just around the chickens. I live on a farm and the hay fields are full of little mouse runs through the grass. If the weather was similarly mild last year in Illinois, that might be a contributor to your problem.

I'm in Louisiana, which has pretty mild winter temps compared to most of the country. We've been very fortunate to NOT have a problem with mice. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs that probly help to keep the problems under control. One cat is an Eggcelent hunter.

First, congratulations for being a responsible owner. What I would recommend is purchasing six Mouse Bait Stations.

Give three of them to your neighbor and let him know that you are making changes to help with the mouse problem. Advise him where to place the stations. Outside wall of the garage between the properties. Place yours along a wall or fence line near your feed or coop.

Keep your receipt as proof that you are trying to rectify the problem.

Is your feed in a metal garbage can? If not you should buy one (Keep receipt)

Clean up your area, yard, garage to reduce nesting spots. Tell your neighbor the date you intend to spring clean and ask him to do the same. Suggest that if you both reduce nesting locations at the same time, it will help reduce the issue.

Riki

Last edited:
If this doesn't work you may hire an exterminator to come out to "his" home and tackle the mouse problem professionally. It may cost a few dollars, but it will go a long way to ensuring your on your neighbors good side as well as preventing him from asking your city to change the laws. If you explain the situation to the exterminator when you set up the appointment, he may look over your coop set up and offer advice for no additional cost.

If your not doing it already, start gifting that neighbor with eggs.

Riki

Simple effective mouse trap ( chicken safe so far )

Just a piece of downspout fastened to some left over wood from the picket fence construction. The downspout is 14" long I put the bait in the middle and a trap at each end. The downspout is tall enough to let the action on the trap do it's thing. Make sure and push the traps into the downspout so the chickens can't step on them. Checked one this morning out in the coop and it got one. He cleared it on the way in but the other trap got him on his way out. No more stolen bait and empty traps from now on.

Simple effective mouse trap ( chicken safe so far )

Just a piece of downspout fastened to some left over wood from the picket fence construction. The downspout is 14" long I put the bait in the middle and a trap at each end. The downspout is tall enough to let the action on the trap do it's thing. Make sure and push the traps into the downspout so the chickens can't step on them. Checked one this morning out in the coop and it got one. He cleared it on the way in but the other trap got him on his way out. No more stolen bait and empty traps from now on.

OH I like that idea. I am needing something to put in my raised coop since and this should work.

Citychickx6 Thank You
I have them everywhere now! Sometimes I don't even bait them the mice just like to go inside and look around. I don't like bait stations either. After the mouse eats the poison they go off and die somewhere then you have to follow the stench and find them....I hope these work for you as well as they have for me...Chad

I've posted this in other related places, but I think it bears repeating. Mice and rats don't like mint. Buy several peppermint plants (you don't need many, it spreads voraciously) and plant the mint around areas where there is a mouse or rat problem. The mice/rats will leave the area. No need for poisons or traps that could harm other animals. Mint is an excellent deterrant. And since it has other uses, culinary, scent, etc., you get mulitple uses out of it.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom