Michigan chicken noob

Hubby is getting pallets from work and we will be starting the coop this weekend. I am SO excited!
1f601.png

You should be able to get a 10x10 coop out of those.
What dimensions are you planning? You're going to need at least 85 sq ft of coop space. You'll need even more if you aren't going to put a roof on the run.
And don't forget ventilation. You'll need lots of roofline venting for those Michigan winters to prevent frostbite. Make sure that your roof overhang will shelter the vents.

Awesome tips THANK YOU. I am hoping to do a 20x20 with a large run I would like to do mostly pallet wood but will buy extra if needed. Do you think a trench with logs to hold down chicken wire will help keep out coyote? I saw it done on YouTube and thought it was an excellent idea.

Awesome tips THANK YOU. I am hoping to do a 20x20 with a large run I would like to do mostly pallet wood but will buy extra if needed. Do you think a trench with logs to hold down chicken wire will help keep out coyote? I saw it done on YouTube and thought it was an excellent idea.
Don't count on chicken wire for predator protection. Use welded wire or hardware cloth. And instead of logs, use pavers. Logs can be chewed through, given enough time.

Don't count on chicken wire for predator protection. Use welded wire or hardware cloth. And instead of logs, use pavers. Logs can be chewed through, given enough time.
Super. Now I have another question that is totally off the coop subject. I thought I got 3 buff Orpingtons or 3 Easter eggers. I can identify 16 of our 17 chicks by breed this one little baby has me stumped. It is pale yellow (lighter than the buff) and looks like it will have sideburns!? Any idea what I got? lol

Back
Top Bottom