Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

I found this thread and I am in Clinton Township. If you're still farming and are able to help me with any advice on how to make the township understand I would be very grateful thanks Mike
This coming Monday, July 15th, a new ordinance to allow chickens in Clinton Two. Will be presented. It's a long way from being perfect, but I believe if enough residents show up to show appreciation for the effort, and calmly discuss elements that should be changed, then we have made progress. As currently written, all adjacent neighbors would have to agree in writing before chickens could be kept. I believe this to be overly restrictive given the fact that there is a complaint mechanism in the ordinance to deal with verified issues. There is other twerking that needs to be addressed, but let's show the township board our interest and see where it leads. Come to Monday's board mtg. And bring any others you know that support keeping chickens. The proposed ordinance was printed the The Chronicle paper last week.

As currently written, all adjacent neighbors would have to agree in writing before chickens could be kept. I believe this to be overly restrictive given the fact that there is a complaint mechanism in the ordinance to deal with verified issues.
Wonders if that signed consent would disallow any complaints down the road?

The hatchery you speak of is where I got my chickens. They are very nice folks, and my suggestion is to call them. They will gladly answer any questions you have.
Basically, you are within your rights to have chickens. There have been some supreme court cases here in MI that have basically said no town or city ordinance can override the right to farm act. Sometimes you have to educate a City or Town on the right to farm act because they may not be aware of it. If you have any other questions you can PM me, and I'll do my best to help you out
smile.png
She PMed me. I explained as best I could, and hopefully it helped her out some
smile.png

Bluemoon
Going through this right now and need help. [email protected] please help

Not sure if anyone is still on this thread since the last post was 4/2021.

I have backyard chickens for my own personal use. They are amazing. I just got a citation from the township that I have 10 days to remove them. If there is anyone who can point me in the right direction with information that I can take to my township tomorrow I would so appreciate it. We have a beautiful coop, run and all of our neighbors said no problem when we talked with them before we got them. Thank you in advance. Kathe

Michigan Statute
Note the first two definitions (emphasis mine):

(a) "Farm" means the land, plants, animals, buildings, structures, including ponds used for agricultural or aquacultural activities, machinery, equipment, and other appurtenances used in the commercial production of farm products.
(b) "Farm operation" means the operation and management of a farm or a condition or activity that occurs at any time as necessary on a farm in connection with the commercial production, harvesting, and storage of farm products, and includes, but is not limited to: [...]

Michigan Resource

Back
Top Bottom