Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! I cannot believe my luck!!!!!! mr Leo milbrot of the township of davison is such a nice man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He just came to my front door... we talked.... he said if I just get rid of the rooster he doesnt mind my chickens at all!!!!
Its just the rooster that is causing problems..
( complaints were coming from the neighborhood behind me. I figured thats where it was coming from ... we had a few trees taken out of our property back there this summer so we can open up dry up that some of that area so we can use it.... and the people back there did not like it at all. Most people didnt like it because they were dumping their garbage and lawn clippings and such on my property and i stopped it. A couple of them back there have their back yard over my property line by 6-8 feet... they are not happy ... so they complained. some people....).

He said just to call him when the roo is gone so that if he gets anymore calls he can just tell those people that they are gone...

God bless that man!

I am soooooo happy happy happy!!!!

Anyone want an Easter Egger Roo? =)

thank you everyone for all the wonderful advice! All the ears and the tender hearts out there... I am so glad i found this forum and all of you...
I have learned so much, and it paid off.

I love you guys!!!!!

Glad that Option 1 of 2 worked out so well, but let's not credit good fortune -- you prepared/responded, rather than passively accept. And, there were prayers sent up, on your behalf.

Despite the outcome of today, you should continue to document your farming operation. A journal, or diary if you will, can serve as evidence that events/conversations took place, and even what was said, when it would otherwise be impossible to prove (in fact? I'd save these pages, from BYC ~'-)

You should include the expenses/income from your operation when filing your income taxes, which most likely would result in a greater refund, as farming is the only business that I'm aware of which allows for *both* the standard deductions as an individual *and* the deductions from the business.

I would also seek any potential exemptions provided on the County and/or State level, for the farm use of your land and/or due to your disability.

All, of course, for the primary reason that it serves to establish that your commercial farming operation indeed exists, and that the township accepted your activity, and prior to any changes that may someday come.

And, finally? Congratulations ~'-)

yes, last year we posted No Dumping signs on the property, and the one man recognized that he was on the property and moved his fence it was a small wooden decrative fence ... im having my own fencing put up in the spring and they all know this..

@cowcreekgeek Thank you for the congrats.... i worked hard all weekend searching, printing, and writing papers to present to Mr. Milbrot. lack of sleep, and worry that I would lose my business that I have worked hard on not to mention the monies I spent for building, feed, etc etc etc....
i keep files and books of all paperwork, and documentation of any and all conversations with the township.. I have receipts from sales, logs of monies spent, and income and produce computerized in files and hard copy. (my tax preparer went to school with my brother, she helped alot) ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that happens i have documented. Always learned from my father.... CYA! (cover you *****) no matter what... document document document... Came in handy when i was with GM also...
But the infomation i have learned here in this forum and the people who help are a gift. i would never have known where to look, or which correct documents and papers would be of impact.

thank you for your advise.
Tho i do have to get rid of the rooster.. cuz hes so funny with so much personality.. Id rather be able to keep my whole flock, and he has to go.

So where do I start locating what exemptions i qualify for?

@cowcreekgeek Thank you for the congrats.... i worked hard all weekend searching, printing, and writing papers to present to Mr. Milbrot. lack of sleep, and worry that I would lose my business that I have worked hard on not to mention the monies I spent for building, feed, etc etc etc....
i keep files and books of all paperwork, and documentation of any and all conversations with the township.. I have receipts from sales, logs of monies spent, and income and produce computerized in files and hard copy. (my tax preparer went to school with my brother, she helped alot) ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that happens i have documented. Always learned from my father.... CYA! (cover you *****) no matter what... document document document... Came in handy when i was with GM also...
But the infomation i have learned here in this forum and the people who help are a gift. i would never have known where to look, or which correct documents and papers would be of impact.

Tho i do have to get rid of the rooster.. cuz hes so funny with so much personality.. Id rather be able to keep my whole flock, and he has to go.

And, there's that 'good dad's instillation' I was talkin' about; we carry 'em right along w/ us ...

To start w/ you can obtain exemption for your farm from sales tax w/in Michigan, which is I think 6% (not sure, as I'm a West 'by God' Virginian ~'-)

You've done 97% of what's needed, in order to make sure you qualify for any/all exemptions/benefits that may exist ... now you've just gotta find out what they are, and file the proper forms. That brother's friend, your tax consultant, should be aware of all this (although many aren't). Givin' her a call would be a good idea.

Hopefully, issues of inheritance won't come up for many years, but it's a good idea to plan ahead ... here's some info on exemptions from inheritance tax that you should also incorporate into your estate planning.

And, finally, you should include this matter as conversation w/ the one that shows up when you consult w/ the extension service, which you should do as soon as possible (preferably, prior to the end of this calendar year).

If, from there, you've not found the answers needed, and prior to filing your federal income taxes? Send me a pm, 'n I'll do a bit more diggin' around ~'-)

Personally I would not get rid of your rooster; it seems to me from everything you have said and that I have read here that you are within your rights to have him. If you agree to remove him, you have down started the slippery slope of abandoning your rights.

I would suggest trying to find a way to house him so that crowing is controlled (not significantly audible at your property line) during evening and early morning hours. A sound insulated coop and a decibel meter to measure how loud he is (at your property line) would help.

Personally I would not get rid of your rooster; it seems to me from everything you have said and that I have read here that you are within your rights to have him. If you agree to remove him, you have down started the slippery slope of abandoning your rights.

I would suggest trying to find a way to house him so that crowing is controlled (not significantly audible at your property line) during evening and early morning hours. A sound insulated coop and a decibel meter to measure how loud he is (at your property line) would help.

Although she may be w/in her legal rights, she has already reached this agreement, upon which her word now depends (which is far more important than any rooster could ever be). And, rather than taking such a firm stand upon what is one's right, it's often far better to consider those of others so nearby ...

Even if she were to control him better, and reduce the sound, they're still gonna hear it ... it's already an issue for somebody, and it'd serve to further irritate them, and most likely compel them to further aggrevate her. So, the keeping of her rooster would likely force the issue into Court, where she'd most probably initially lose, forcing her to seek the relief of a higher Court, which might still rule in their favor, requiring the Court of Appeals to overturn, which they most likely would. Or? She can give up this one rooster, continue to grow/establish her operation, and expand later to include a breeding program, should she wish to later keep rooster(s).

This seems to me to be the most logical, and morally correct, path to her objectives ... there's an old phrase that comes to mind: When you're us to your [buttocks] in alligators, it isn't a good time to drain the swamp ~'-)

yes, last year we posted No Dumping signs on the property, and the one man recognized that he was on the property and moved his fence it was a small wooden decrative fence ... im having my own fencing put up in the spring and they all know this..

I can see somethin' that's a likely result of all this ... hard feelings toward those that wrong us are still hard feelings, even when their actions easily justify how we feel towards them. It seems you're building a good relationship w/ those out front, but havin' trouble gettin' past what's happened out back.

Christmas offers an excellent opportunity for you to do just that ... place a bow on dozens of your best eggs, and give 'em to each of those that border your farm. And, when it's time to put up fences (which indeed make good neighbors) discuss the fence w/ those on the other side of it (which oftens makes even better neighbors ~'-)

Here, there are provisions w/in Code for what fences are to be, and methods for establishing a shared cost for that part which divides their land from the other's, not that we've ever relied upon it ... we discuss the line, and the appropriate fence, 'n buy the wire/posts req'd ... most often? We build it, too.

Last edited:
I have to agree with cowcreekgeek. I gave my word to show my good faith to the township and to my neighbors. The deed is done. Einstein is no more. Very sorrowful is the night tonight. But to sacrifice one rooster for the rest of the flock to keep the peace is what needed to be done here, in this instance. Lord above knows i hated doing it, it broke my little girls heart.
Yes, i do believe i am absolutely within my rights to keep my roo, but .... cowcreekgeek explained it very nicely. I will have roosters in the future.. whether i am on this same property, or move further up north in a few years. For now, it was the right thing to do all around. I get to keep my flock without having to go to court, or pay a lawyer, or fight the township. Im happy with that for now. I have 43 hens in my flock.. They need a good home, and im proud to say they will stay with me. and who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Einstein will be missed. He was a good boy.

Strutting his stuff!

My oldest daughter with Einstein

And, there's that 'good dad's instillation' I was talkin' about; we carry 'em right along w/ us ...

To start w/ you can obtain exemption for your farm from sales tax w/in Michigan, which is I think 6% (not sure, as" I'm a West 'by God' Virginian ~'-)"

You've done 97% of what's needed, in order to make sure you qualify for any/all exemptions/benefits that may exist ... now you've just gotta find out what they are, and file the proper forms. That brother's friend, your tax consultant, should be aware of all this (although many aren't). Givin' her a call would be a good idea.

Hopefully, issues of inheritance won't come up for many years, but it's a good idea to plan ahead ... here's some info on exemptions from inheritance tax that you should also incorporate into your estate planning.

And, finally, you should include this matter as conversation w/ the one that shows up when you consult w/ the extension service, which you should do as soon as possible (preferably, prior to the end of this calendar year).

If, from there, you've not found the answers needed, and prior to filing your federal income taxes? Send me a pm, 'n I'll do a bit more diggin' around ~'-)

By the way.... my family on my mothers side are West "by God" Virginians also.. (tho ive never been there)
cool.png

By the way.... my family on my mothers side are West "by God" Virginians also.. (tho ive never been there)
cool.png

Well, since you didn't ...
  • shoot the government representative(s) that came to your door, and/or
  • beat the livin' daylights outta the neighbor that dumped/encroached upon your land, and/or
  • challenge anybody that had anything to say about it to mutual combat or duel, as an alternative manner of conflict resolution, and/or
  • drive that finest example of a John Deere straight up the town hall's steps, and through a few offices of those that threatened your family's future,

I'm guessin' you took mostly after your father's side of the family ~'-)

Back
Top Bottom