Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

I feel like the only real way to handle these cases, is to go against the ordinances and take them to court, and see how the courts handle it. And I don't think I would have the resources to do it, so I can't blame anyone else for not doing it. But I do believe the RTFA says we can keep chickens, regardless of ordinance. If we keep asking them for permission, we are basically saying we agree with them, when there is already a clearly written law saying we don't need their permission. Like I said, I won't be taking my city to court. I just couldn't. It just makes me mad that these city officials can be so arrogant as to go against clear state law. I wish the court system was not so expensive. You should be able to take your lawmakers/keepers to court, and hold them to task without it costing you your life savings, and more. Really sorry to read that you haven't been able to open their eyes, Cara.

My thoughts completely and exactly - of course my position hasn't changed, Mr. Planning Director - the law is on MY side....why would MY position change.

And I'm also not in the position to fight in court either :( I wish I had the time, energy and financial resources to do so....I just don't - and am so frustrated that that is what it seemingly has to take in every city, when so many before us have already fought this fight and won.

I'm working on a newspaper article, and a petition to get it in front of the City Council again.

Any other suggestions are welcome....

THANK YOU, RaZ - that is great stuff - I'll modify and adapt - I've gathered quite a group of quiet followers here that I know will help me launch a similar effort!

I feel like the winds may be shifting. RaZ just announced that he has been allowed to be MAEAP verified, which means that the state is willing to acknowledge farming operations in cities. There was the Buchler case in 2012 that came down on our side, and the Santeiu case in 2013. The Ag Commissioners agreed not to change the Site Selection GAAMPS last year that would have made it much more difficult to claim RTF protection. So hang in there, Cara.

I also want to say that I just found this RTF course, offered by MSU in three different locations - tomorrow.

Deciphering Michigan's Right to Farm Act for Local Governments - June 11, 2013 | 6:30-9:30 p.m. | NMU Olson Library, Rm 109 1401 Presque Isle Ave. Marquette, MI 49855

Deciphering Michigan's Right to Farm Act for Local Governments - June 11, 2013 | 6:30-9:30 p.m. | Northwest Michigan Horticultural Research Center 6686 S. Center Highway Traverse City, MI 49684

Deciphering Michigan's Right to Farm Act for Local Governments - June 11, 2013 | 6:30-9:30 p.m. | Livingston County MSU Extension 2300 E. Grand River Ave., Suite 111 Howell, MI 48843

I am going to try to make the one in Howell.

Note that the next day, Wednesday June 12th, is the next meeting of the Ag Commission. That meeting will be held in Detroit.

Quote:
Deciphering Michigan's Right to Farm Act for Local Governments - June 11, 2013 | 6:30-9:30 p.m. | Livingston County MSU Extension 2300 E. Grand River Ave., Suite 111 Howell, MI 48843

I am going to try to make the one in Howell.

Note that the next day, Wednesday June 12th, is the next meeting of the Ag Commission. That meeting will be held in Detroit.

I emailed one of the presenters asking if this program would be offered in the future. This is what the response was: We tend to offer this program twice a year in various locations. We could host a location in Macomb County next fall. Glenn Pape Government and Public Policy Team Greening Michigan Institute MSU Extension 517-974-8766 cell 517-552-6912 office direct

Anyone who is interested in the MRTFA should also consider the MAEAP verification programme for their commercial farm operation.

MAEAP verification carries no legal weight at this time regarding compliance with PA93. However the verification is supported by Governor Snyder and more importantly demonstrates sound environmental practices that all farms should be aware of. Furthermore, many of the requirements of MAEAP verification demonstrate compliance with GAAMPs. Some court cases have recognized that as a valid RTF defense. Verification is simply another piece of evidence should you need to use RTFA in your particular case.

I received verification this week, along with another Garden City chicken keeper. How it plays in court has yet to be be seen.

Compliance with MAEAP is pretty simple once you get past the idea of paperwork. Verification is a three-step process with minimal actual cost and just a bit of time involved.

To that end, I will be presenting a MAEAP mini-seminar at this year's Michigan Chicken Stock social gathering. CS is a picnic event much like a family reunion. With a swap meet, buy and sell, and what have you.

The event is Saturday June 22 from 10:00 - 3:00.

Michigan Chickenstock 2013
June 22nd, 10am-3pm

Delta Mills Park

6841 Old River Trail
 * Lansing, MI 48917

Last edited:
Hello I have read through this thread a couple of times and I thought I had come across names of attorneys that are familiar with The Michigan Right To Farm Act or had been involved in a case but now I can't seem to find it. Or it could be somewhere else in the hundreds of websites I have been searching the last few weeks. I am in the middle of a "dispute" myself currently and was looking for some info! Thanks!
smile.png

Okay - I put together my own packet of information to share to help gather support and signatures for my new change.org petition to hopefully get the City Council to revisit the ordinance change here in Midland...

You can see it at www.carascreations.blogspot.com

*fingers crossed*

Back
Top Bottom