Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

You might have to call the State Police HQ and ask for the Internal Affairs Department. They investigate local departments for malfeasance and/or dereliction of duty.

Another option is DOJ. 

You are entering the same arena of harassment that I have been living with. Stand your ground!

So, I just called prosecuting attorney's office to report trespassing (per my lawyers advice) state police also said I would have to contact prosecuting attorney and not PD.
prosecuting attorney said they won't take a complaint, I have to go through police department.
I explained that we tried that, got nowhere, and my next call will be to internal affairs.
She said the prosecuting attorney will call me back.

Same thing here. Local PD will not take a complaint against a city worker. The cop actually told that if I wasn't doing something wrong then the city would not be on my property.
Presumed guilty is the new norm.

More trespassers were at my property again taking pictures. I think they said they work for county vs township.
We called state police this time to report the violation since local police did nothing, and now state police won't even take a report! She said its not trespassing if they are doing their official business.
I disagree! This is the 4th violation and the 2nd dismissed police report.
Any ideas guys? They were given written notice not to enter our property, went around locked gates, and ignored no trespassing signs!
HELP!!! I need advice!
Ask for a copy of their search warrant. Also, ask for the name of each person and let them see you writing it down.

Per my lawyers advice, I will be sending my hubby to PD tomorrow to file charges. Unfortunately I'm not able to do it myself, but he can go on my behalf.
Prosecuting attorney told me today that I need a police report to file charges (does this sound like a run around?!?) and also said its a conflict if interest for them to pursue charges for their own employees.
Um, does this sound like a problem to anyone else besides me?!?
If they think I'm the type to just say "ok" and go back to letting them trespass AGAIN they are wrong.

Well, interesting little development. We were told at the hearing in the beginning of October that the Board felt it was necessary for the twp attorney to go over our application given the amount of law that was contained therein and the fact that they did not feel qualified to sort through it all. They tabled the appeals hearing and told us we would receive a letter to attend the November 7th hearing where the twp attorney could be present before anything was discussed or decided. So here we are at October 24th and no letter requesting our presence at the meeting. I went through the Shelby paper today and found the notice for the hearing in the beginning of the month. Ours isn't one of the listed matters for November 7th. So either they have decided they need more time to look for loopholes, or else they realized they will be fighting an expensive and difficult to win battle given the precedent that has already been set here. So please don't waste your time turning up at the Shelby offices on November 7th. There are no matters being heard that night concerning chickens.

hi there i will be there i have a few chickens i to would be in support please let me know when here is my phone 2488540636 i got a warning that if i do not get rid of my chicks they will arrest me tuesday i my need a place to keep them for a while. monday shelby tv will be over to interview me, i should call channel 2 as well

I already texted the attorney to let her know we still have no letter and are not on the agenda for the meeting. I am most certainly keeping the published posting for proof, but this isn't the attorney's first rodeo. I am sure she will contact the city and ask what is going on. I think, at this point, they either had a full agenda and just tabled us until Dec or they decided it would be better to deal with our issue all alone and tabled us for another night. It would be nice to have a letter of explanation though, wouldn't it?
How odd that they are threatening you with arrest over a few chickens! They never told us we would be arrested but of course we haven't really spoken with them. My husband called a lawyer the day we got the letter and we just let her deal with the mess. She said everything is on hold while we go through the process. Nobody has sent any additional letters or ordered the chickens to be removed since the attorney contacted them.
You certainly have the right to an appeal before the board but be prepared to pay through the nose for it. It costs $175 just to file an application to be heard in front of the Shelby appeal board. That is if you go on your own without an attorney. We have had one hearing so far and the bill for our attorney is in the thousands. Foolish? I guess it depends on if you want to be a door mat and allow other people to walk on you to save a few thousand dollars. My dear husband said we are in it to the end at this point. We will continue to fight for our rights until a judge tells us we are finished either way.
Again, don't bother showing up for the November 7th hearing unless you want to discuss a 5 car garage or one of the other building applications. There are no chicken matters scheduled that evening and I doubt they will hear opinions on anything that isn't already on the agenda. It isn't like a public town meeting where anyone can come and address the board about anything. You have to put in an application and have the matter on the agenda before they will hear public comment on it. Once we hear from the township about the change in dates, we will post the new date. If you do have to give up your chickens temporarily or permanently, I would be happy to take them in and I have 1.5 acres. Mine aren't going anywhere for a long time because even if we don't win the hearing, we will be going to court and Shelby can't touch them until it is decided. Good luck with your issues.

Back
Top Bottom