Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

So can anyone please tell me what the state decided? I haven't heard.

Nothing has been decided yet. The Public Comment period was January 22nd. The next step is to have the comments reviewed by each of the committees, to determine if further changes are warranted. Then the final versions will be presented to the Ag Commission (likely during their February meeting on Feb 12th), and then voted on at their next meeting (likely March 20th).

So there is STILL time to write to the Ag Commission, or your legislators, or the governor.

Who in here has had success with delivering some sort of information packet to your local municipality, when cited for an ordinance violation? I've got a good friend who was just asked this morning to remove her flock, because rats... Nevermind that the city/county pushed all the rats out of the hundred year old sewers this summer, with road construction. Anyway, she needs some good concise information to throw at them quickly. At least to try to buy her some time. I know someone out there is generous and would like to help my friend keep her flock. Does anyone have anything great that they would not mind passing along to a fellow chicken lover?

that is horrible I never heard of chickens causing rats I live in Shelby Township and I have lucked out so far having seven ducks I wish I can offer information.

Sending you an e-mail with a package that was used in Hudson, WI to allow chickens.

There is nothing specific regarding a cause-affect link with rodents and chickens because there IS NO cause-affect link that can be verified. However, that doesn't stop ordinance officers and other uninformed officials from using the Rat Boogieman. With the snow covered ground, it can be pretty easy to see if there are tracks and where they are coming from.

It is a matter of diligence. Keep any and all food in sealed metal containers. Clean up pet waste. Have photographs of the sealed containers and a written waste/odor control plan.

There was a gal on here that recently went to her township with her attorney, and they had a beautiful presentation and won their variance.
I have given my township RTF info, but nothing more.

Thanks Randy, I (and she) really appreciate that. I know there have been a handful of people who had swayed the opinion of their cities with some good info. I appreciate the time they put in getting the info together. And I feel bad that I have never taken the time myself. But thankfully, chicken folk tend to be friendly and generous.
big_smile.png

that is horrible I never heard of chickens causing rats I live in Shelby Township and I have lucked out so far having seven ducks I wish I can offer information.
would you be interested in helping to change township ordinances for chickens we need as many people as possable

Back
Top Bottom