Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

I have just been served with an Ordinance violation.  Took a year.  I think I know who.  But, when I file my response with the Ord Officer, I will formally ask for a copy of the complaint(s) - properly redacted to protect their anonymity.  I have an LLC, have filed GAAMPS and the Ag Dept called me 3 times, after about 9 month, and I called back 8 times, but we never hooked up.  If anyone needs a copy of my GAAMOS, I will share.  suzywoodrow at hotmail dot com.

The biggest question since the siting GAAMPS change is: do you have more then 250 feet between your critters, compost pile, barn or run and the nearest non agriculture home? And are there less then 13 homes within 1/8 mile of you?
Basically if you have a decent size piece of property you should be good to go.
While the vote hurt many small farmers, it helped me greatly because there are more then 1000 ft before you hit another property, and I'm the only house for 1/2 a mile diameter.
If you need any more info, send me a PM. Most people bailed on this thread and hit Facebook.
Good luck!

Most people bailed on this thread and hit Facebook.
Good luck!
Not all of us have bailed. But with the changes to the GAAMP and even the MAEAP, many of us are left in the limbo created when MDARD decided to let the local courts decide the issue. And most of us are not lawyers and can only offer "opinions".

Then consider that local authorities have found this site and DO monitor it as trolls. And what gets posted CAN be used against you. (I see a "guest" even as I type this).

But also consider that the actual LAW was not changed. MDARD and the Commissioners just put forth bureaucratic nonsense to muddy the legal waters and make it tougher for small farmers to verify compliance with the State Law as written by the legislature.

If you need any more info, send me a PM. Most people bailed on this thread and hit Facebook.
Good luck!

This thread has always been important to folks wanting to know what is going on with Right to Farm in Michigan. It is true, however, that at the moment the place where most of the discussion is happening on the Facebook page of the Michigan Small Farm Council. That has a different feel, but thousands of people are now exposed to the stories that used to be seen only by a few.

There is no reason that a person can't follow both this thread and that FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/michigansmallfarmcouncil

Last edited:
Well, the agenda for the November 12th meeting of the Commission of Agriculture has been released, and the 2015 proposed GAAMPs are on it. We've heard rumors that MDARD will take further action to cut small farms out of RTF protection, despite the fact that it is outside their authority to weaken the legal protections for Michigan citizens that have been enacted by the legislature.

Links to that agenda and other documents are here:

https://www.michigansmallfarmcounci...-agriculture-commission-on-november-12th-2014

Back
Top Bottom