Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

I do not live in GR, but where I live up to 4 chickens are allowed on any size lot in any zoning.
The only complaint that our township gets is from crowing roosters. To me it is common courtesy, if you have neighbors near by, don't own roosters. If you have a couple of acres, and the neighbors cannot hear them, you can get roosters. Owning 50+ acres, I have roosters. They can be loud when most people are sleeping. But I'm the type that thinks about this type of thing, some people need ordinances to remind them to consider their neighbor...

I do not live in GR, but where I live up to 4 chickens are allowed on any size lot in any zoning.
The only complaint that our township gets is from crowing roosters. To me it is common courtesy, if you have neighbors near by, don't own roosters. If you have a couple of acres, and the neighbors cannot hear them, you can get roosters. Owning 50+ acres, I have roosters. They can be loud when most people are sleeping. But I'm the type that thinks about this type of thing, some people need ordinances to remind them to consider their neighbor...
And some people want ordinances just so they can control what their neighbors do. Some cities do it for the revenue that ordinance violations generate. Ordinances, by design, are discriminatory.

And some people want ordinances just so they can control what their neighbors do. Some cities do it for the revenue that ordinance violations generate.  Ordinances, by design, are discriminatory.

I party agree with you, but only in PART. I believe there is a time and place for certain ordinances. While some ordinances are much too far reaching, some are very good. For example, where I live a person can own 4 chickens. This could legally include 4 roosters in a trailer park sized lot. This ruins it for people who have only hens (quiet hens) on a larger lot. Because when there are too many complaints, the ability to keep ANY chickens will then disappear.

My point too with ordinances are things like barking dogs, apartments being built in my subdivision, or a truck stop going in behind my house.
There is a place for barking dogs, (inside the owners house). There is a place for apartments, (near dense population, bus stops, university etc). there is a place for truck stops, (near highways fast food, gas etc)
you are correct though that some ordinances are legal forms of extortion. Pay for our "variance" and you can go against the ordinance... In general though, ordinances are my idea of common sense that one would naturally already follow like I described above...

I have to hear kids, dogs, and construction while i am trying to sleep. No one ever thinks about third shifters. Dogs are not dis-allowed even though they bark and can be heard.

Anyway, roosters unluss crowing nonstop should be no different and would be a noise violation if anything. Without roosters you do not have chicks.hatchery chicks are not breed quality, and most farms are not breeding for show quality either. Most of who has been focused in that from what i have seen has been edge of towns all across the u.s.

What has been driving the fight against chickens mostly has been politcs, "pure michigan" china campain. They are huge in the meat production sector and bird flu in their flocks was the only thing keeping the from #1. If you note, Detroit was very aggressive in the anti chicken movement-we are practically begging them to come to detroit to revive it issuing green cards for this purpose. Why would they stick to auto? That makes no sense. They can do it cheaper at home. But what they do need is the ability to sell meat to the u.s.- strict import rules hamper this. But if the facility was in the u.s.??? Think about it. So edge of city is where it is easy to easily set up shipping, close to highways. You would not want to risk contamination from uninspected family flocks; so my belief is our mi govt. Is trying to do a juggle between us and the bigger picture. They will push to regulate if they allow us to keep them.

Last edited:
The point to all that was don't drown in details, they are important but all things must be addressed as they relate to the big picture. The biggest concern for local and govt is going to be cleanliness and disease prevention, testing.

The more you outsource the riskier for disease so i say don't knock the roosters as they will be vital long term.

The point to all that was don't drown in details, they are important but all things must be addressed as they relate to the big picture. The biggest concern for local and govt is going to be cleanliness and disease prevention, testing.

The more you outsource the riskier for disease so i say don't knock the roosters as they will be vital long term.

I have absolutely nothing against roosters. In fact, I keep about 4 for my flock of 50 or so hens. They are good guardians for the hens, and when I want more chicks, I put some fertile eggs in the incubator. But I have a large piece of property. We are allowed to own 4 chickens (4 roosters if desired) on any sized lot. The only real complaint our township gets about chickens is the noise of roosters. I think people on very small lots should consider their neighbors and maybe even ask before getting a rooster to keep the peace... Its just my opinion though.
Gone are the days when neighbors are "extended family" where we would help the elderly with their driveways, bring meals to the ill, or watch each others children. Its shifted to calling the township over a chicken that is not bothering anyone.
My point is simply to remember the golden rule...

I suppose. :(

The small town i grew up in was (and mostly still is) small and unfettered. We kept track of each other and being mostly poor did a surprisingly good job of helping each other. I will probably move back there when it is time to buy. I miss being able to say hello to people or give a gift without suspicion. There not surprisingly is a lot of chickens in the area- been snooping. :) Both well-to-do and poor both, even with close neighbors. I had house envy looking at one particularly well-off flock!!!! The well off town of rockford next door allows hens in the city.

(Cedar springs, family in rural sand lake)

Also i still do not understand how any city or town has any legislation over what you keep in your house? If it is a legal to own animal (not an alligator)

Per all the drama regarding chickens (especially roosters) one key feature i have been looking for is a walkout basement, or 3 season room for my birds. If i go that route (which i likely will) i will have a well thought out aviary. Keeping them in a different part of the house should be safer for my lungs, especially with an air cleaner.

But some towns still pursue indoor keeping.... how is that legal???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom