Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

In regards to the GAAMPs, I was looking at one of the links provided and it gave info on farm markets, but nothing on regulations or guidelines on keeping poultry on a residential farm.. By that I mean a 'farm' like mine, where I keep a flock of mixed poultry of ducks and chickens. Can anyone help me? I need to know if there are any regulations like how far away from the house does your coop or duck pond have to be? Are there any limits to the number of poultry you are allowed to have? Does anyone have a link to GAAMP guidlines for Michigan that could help with actual farm set up on your own land and not like, setting up a farm market on the side of the road?

Ordinances as written are often done so to provide a venue for one neighbor to complain about another. That's what the ordinance officer told me when a neighbor complained about my bees. I'll probably get another visit from the officer if they find out I have chicken and ducks now. I keep a copy of the RTFA handy.

I also keep a copy of the local ordinance. Here in Garden City it was just re-written 2 days ago to cover "viscous dogs" but there are 2 sentences that cover fowl. One says that "fowl" are prohibited and the other says its might be ok to have chicks or ducklings temporarily. Later in the ordinance, it says you can have a pony if it is properly cared for. (Where did that come from?)

In any case, I only have to worry about 1 neighbor and I'm taking steps to disquise my chicken tractor to be less noticible if he peeks over the privacy fence. I hope I don't get problems from the city but I'm prepared to fight if necessary.

Quote:
That's why I put it in quotes. That's how the ordinance reads in the copy submitted for publication. I think very few people will read it and fewer yet will catch the mis-spellings.

Like the whippet/mastiff remark.
wink.png

Hi MommaBug

Somewhere in the GAAmps will be one for poultry. However it will be aimed at large farmers - that is what GAAMPS are written for. The RTF act was never intended to help people keep a few chickens in the city, it was intended to help people farm poultry on a large scale. Thes GAAmps begin with one animal unit which I believe is 1,500 birds- don't have it in front of me. There are set back guidelines etc. but you may find that is not what you are looking for. Does your city allow poultry at all? If so they probably have the rules for set backs, fencing etc. Basically if your poultry have a minimum amount of space per bird and adequete food and water and your waste is being taken care of in an environmentlally responsible manner you will have achieved GAAMPS.

People are using the RTF act successfully in some places to keep chickens. In others they face hugely expensive court fights that may end up in them winning if they don't go broke first. It is far bettter to lobby your city or muncipality to keep chickens until you win the right to do so. Hope you can get your chickens, good luck.

Quote:
Well I am far from city limits, though I am still not zoned for poultry. There are people who openly sell chicken eggs in my town, as well as small farms and dairies. I guess my main question was if anyone knew how many feet from your house does the chicken coop/ run have to be in the state of Michigan? I have read some states that say 50 feet from ALL houses, some say 100 feet. I cannot find GAAMPS that can tell me that. What I have managed to find does not mention a minimal/maximum length away from homes that it should be. I keep my chickens fed, ventilated, and super clean, but their coop (because I got them 2 months ago while it was still cold) is attached to the side of our house. I did this to make sure that when they were moved out there I was able to run a heating lamp to them. Next month I plan on building something perminant, and would like to know exactly how far it must be from my house. I rather not have them any farther out than need be. I am on 3 acres so that shouldnt be a problem.

What I read in GAAMPS did not state a distance from anywhere. It was more the amount of space that was allowed per hen.

This has been a fascinating post. Does anyone have any idea about the ultimate outcome of the Papesh VS Shelby Twp case? From what I read the appellate court reversed the order back to the lower court to be re decided, but I didn't see anything more about whether they got to keep the chickens or not. I live in Shelby Twp and just got my first 6 chickens, so this is an important case for me. Also, I have an EIN number for my business, Taja Siberians, but I don't have one for farming yet. I raise Siberian Huskies and sell most if not all of the puppies from each litter although i don't have litters all the time. Would dogs fall under this same law as livestock? Should I get a new ein number for farming with my 6 new hens? We have almost 2 acres. I thought there was a code against livestock in Shelby unless you had 2 acres but I can't find anything anywhere on Shelby's site about livestock at all. I know they have no limit on dogs which is very rare these days. As long as my dogs are well cared for and not a public nuisance I can keep as many as I want. I am wondering if the Papesh law suit made them change the township ordinance against livestock. Does anyone have an answer on this?
I'll ask my Business Law instructor Tuesday about this case but I'm hoping someone else might have some definitive answers sooner.
Thank you
Melissa
Taja Siberians

Hello again!
Just wanted to share some good news that West Bloomfield has approved the allowance of keeping chickens. The ordinance will be drafted in a couple months. Yippee!
This has come after months of deliberation but we were eventually successful. Initially we tried to use the RTF Act. I live in a historic neighborhood that was originally a farming community. But since our zoning was changed to "R10" RTF didn't apply.
It only protects existing farms.
How we were successful to get an ordinance adopted was that we made friends with people from the township offices that supported sustainability. You need to find someone on the "inside" to help you work the system. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom