Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

CaraBear, WOW is all I can say! This will possibly help so many of us who want to be proactive. Thank you so much for the time you put into it, and your willingness for the rest of us to benefit from your hard work.

Blessings!

Sandy

This is a great letter, it states the facts and is not challenging in a way that would put your city on the defensive. Good luck with the chickens.

I have started building a new coop over the last couple of days. Came out in the morning to open up my chickens. Low and behold the city guy were waiting for me. They were opening fire hydrants and asked if I had a permit to build a shed. I said no, didnt know I needed one for a shed. Then he said that he hopes Im not building a chicken coop. I didnt say yes but he knows I am as I was standing next to one. He said it against the ordinances. I told them I wasnt aware of any but that I have a business and I am covered under the MRTFA. He said no I dont and that the City of Lindens ordinances supersede the state. Then he said they can make and enforce whatever laws they want. He said they were not going to enforce them unless they get a complaint though. I also handed him a bunch of copies I had for the MRTFA. Lets see if the deny my permit when I go get it Friday.

Well I didnt get denied my permit. The same guy who was out to my house is the same guy who approves permits. So that being said my coop about done. I have my attorney picked out if I need them. I think if I need one I have a good case. 1. Have signed papers from all my adjacent neighbors consenting to my endeavor. 2. I have had them a year without the problem being addressed by the City. 3. They have seen them along with my Rooster in my presence without trying to shut me down. So this shows that they can enforce what they want and ignore other laws, which is biased and unjust. 4. They approved a permit fully knowing what I intended and again knowing I have chickens. In my opinion you cannot hope to take someone to court and expect results when you have looked the other way for so long. If they thought I was a nuisance, and a health and safety risk than you cant pick and choose. I either am or Im not. Also the ordinance for chickens say 250 ft but a dog kennel can be 50 ft from a dwelling. Last time I checked dog poop smells just as bad if not worse than chicken poop!

Was your permit for chickens, or for a shed?

It sounds like the city doesn't really want to come after you, but they might have to if someone files a nuisance complaint against you. In that case, MRTFA should be your friend so long as you can document that you're selling some product from your chickens(even if just to neighbors and friends). Best of luck.

Just continue to support our local farms and farmers in Michigan (and everywhere else too)! The local food movement needs to continue to grow and more people need to advocate for policy change to allow for small, urban farms that are sustainable and operated in a fashion that is safe for the people, the animals and the environment! It's about community! Thank you for offering to help!!

Last edited:
A guy down the street brought by his buddy who also lives on our street but across the main road. Both brought their daughters to see my chickens. The new guy had chickens last year but said the ordinance guy made him get rid of them so he is trying to get city council to address the issue.

The chicken issue is on council agenda for June 11 at 7:00pm. We are trying to flood the meeting with pro-chicken people. It seems that we have a couple of council members who are in favour of allowing chickens here in Garden City. I hope we can get a ton of people to speak in favour of permitting chickens here. It's a public meeting so if any of you are close, please come and support us chicken people.

RaZ, this is a crazy time of year with all of the end-of-school activities, but I'll try to make it. A crowd of pro-chicken supporters in a suburban courtroom would be something to see!

Back
Top Bottom