Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

Thanks Wingless! I have to look into that.

Three minutes isn't a lot of time but maybe co-ordinate the people going and have each speak specifically to a point for 3 minutes? I'm sure hubby won't let me go but I would be happy to help "speech write" if this idea interests anyone.

Someone asked about the farmer associated lawyers....here's the link to their site...

http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/about.html

I'm so discouraged by some of these towns who are incapable of seeing the benefit of backyard chickens....you'd think we were asking to bring the plague on our towns!

I'm up for assisting with the fight, but am out of town for the next week or so, so no meeting for me, either.

Well, I intend to go and to speak for my three minutes. I also intend to prepare a written statement to hand to each of the 5 Ag Commission members, as well as a few extra copies for, say, the new director of MDARD.

If anyone would like to write up their own comments, I would be glad to include them in a packet with mine. I think those of you who have actually been prevented from establishing farming operations because of the actions of MDARD have the most compelling story, because you have actually lost something that RTF was supposed to protect. It has been painful watching this happen again and again this summer, and I would be very glad to hand-deliver your stories and comments to the Ag Commission.

Ok, so BIG NEWS!!!! I was talking to my State Senator's office, Senator Hoon-Yung Hopgood. Now, it was regarding a different matter however, I was then told of his upcoming "coffee shop" meetings he is doing in cities where his constituents reside. Most recently, the city of Riverview. http://hopgood.senatedems.com/ that is his website. I am saying this because even if you are NOT one of his constituents, you can come voice your opinion about the chickens. His office is already familiar with this issue as I have raised it but then the MDA told him their interpretation was with against us on "Site Selection" issues. Now, this is important because if we all try to regularly go to these events, as he talks with his peers, the other State Senators and Representatives, this creates influence. Some things I am going to bring up and feel we should ALL be bringing up with our Legislators, is the definitions given by the MRTFA that is being ignored, specifically, "Site Selection" from GAAMPs. I was told he will be doing one in Ecorse and then, in my town Lincoln Park, in September. This, per my request, is being scheduled as an evening event so I can attend. I'm soooooo excited! I'm also excited to share this, as you can see because these are events, with all our legislatures, that we can now put the rubber to the road and be "activists" and make a difference by the power of our voice and our influence!!! What say you chicken advocates?

Additionally, I will be bringing up Walt Whitman and how he is supposed to be our advocate but has proven to be our adversary!

p.s. The Senators office mentioned how they got a call from a chicken farmer in Melvindale that was 'sneaking' his chickens. They know we are out there, we just need to organize and have that voice!!!

Warm Regards,

[email protected]

I should add, we need to also, send ALL of our comments, to Wingless, so she can show, for those of us that can't make it, that we are a voice and a growing movement and we are NOT going away. Instead, we are organizing an uniting!!!

VIVA LA CHICKENS!!!

Warm Regards,

[email protected]

FWIW--I emailed Andrea LaFontaine as she is 'interested' in my BYC efforts here in New Baltimore. I specfically asked for her assistance at the state level (as she is my state representative) with regards to the MRTFA and the fact that it superceeds the local ordinance.

I will post an update.

Side Note-after processing the council meeting I'm beating myself up for not pushing back more at the stuipd/ignorant (and I carefully choose these words as there is a difference) remaks, but there were so many I was flabbergasted,

For example:
What will you do with the Chicken waste ( they produce x amount)?
Answer- its a natural fertilizer for gardens and dogs produce at least 10# a week that has to be put in the trash

Oh, so you will let your children play in the garden with the chicken waste?
Really? This is a legitamate question? Because I currently control where all the wild birds poop ALL OVER MY YARD

What if you get sick from an egg from your chicken? Are you going to sue our city for allowing chickens?
Answer: so if I plant carrots and eat them and get sick, are you getting sued now?

yes, this is what I was up against, I had no hope

Sigh

This is why RTF is important. If the battle to keep chickens has to be won with every local unit of government across the state, by changing ordinances - at this unusual historical moment when very few people have been exposed to the keeping of any kind of animal except dogs and cats - then I think the status quo will prevail, and backyard chickens will largely be prohibited.

I'd rather let my kids go barefoot in an organic garden fertilized with manure than with chemical fertilizers and pesticides and herbicides.

Craigslist is an excellent outlet for surplus manure.

Factory farms and commercial food suppliers don't have a great track record with avoiding recalls.

When you say you had no hope, what you missed was an opportunity to educate the residents on the ridiculous basis on which the community is fighting back. If that's the best they can come up with, that's sad.

Engage a sympathetic member of your local media. You may have to interview a few to find one. Make arrangements to visit a backyard farm that is accomplishing the goals of backyard chicken farming, and get the supporting statements of the owner. You can turn the tide of community interest in your favor. Our lawsuit, and the associated media exposure (some positive, some not) brought dozens of customers who supported us in our fight, and continue to support us in our continuing success.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom