Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

VikkiP
Oh, I had already printed up many documents including the study about BYC. i made my 'speech' about BYC keeping benefits as a eat local,eat healthy movement as it 'appears' this was the way New Baltimore was headed with the new farmers market and community garden. I said this was not an issue of YES or NO, but HOW. I made my best effort to indicated I wantd to work with the community leaders.

Then the onslaught of negativity began. I fought back with facts and pointed them out as such against their opinions. They weren't budging.

Michelle

You've opened the door, it's not an underground issue in your community any longer. While it's fresh in the minds of the public, build a P.R. campaign as a law-abiding citizen. Teach people that chickens are no more of a nuisance than cats, dogs, pet cockatoos or parrots. Those pets are all consumers, chickens not only are as friendly and sociable as other domestic animals in the pet category, but also give back nutritious and wholesome food. You've never heard of a flock of chickens running down a jogger and biting them. Chickens won't hunt down songbirds and kill them (though they will try to catch chipmunks, moles and mice if they can). They don't attract vermin any more than woodpiles and garbage cans do, and there is little effort underway to ban those. They do, however, eat insects, till and fertilize, eat weeds, trim the grass, and act as very social companions. Hen chatter is pleasant (rooster crowing in close conditions is not). Chickens have been domesticated for thousands of years and have proven to be compatible with dwelling in urban environments for centuries.

You may want to create a simple, short multimedia presentation for your local cable company and see if you can get it aired on public access, along with a plea to others who may support the topic to address the council.

Wingless, When I proposed a pro poultry ordinance to the village council 4 months ago it was sent to the planning commision where they voted 4 - 3 in favor of a pro poultry ordinance. Then the council voted it down 4 - 3 using comments like; we don't have room, Chickens stink and my favorite from trusty Neuman "I don't want them next to me"(sounded like the mantra that prompted the civil rights movement). The council was presented documentation proving that 6 chickens can be raised in less space than the average dog. They were given documentation showing that the clenliness of an animal is 100% subject to the care of it's owner. They also used as their best defense, the 1% issue.. 1% of the poultry owners will abuse the ordinance and so no poultry should be allowed.
The village has had a public poultry pen for years in town. When I asked the council about any smell, any preditor problems, any noise issues, Village President (voted yes on the pro poultry ordinance) said that there has been no such issues. If they can keep ducks and geese with none of the proclaimed problems that they suggest my chickens will reign in.

Is there anything in this that you might use?

regards

Well, I did attend the Ag Commission meeting this morning. I wrote up a statement that I intended to read part of, but ended up just talking. I told them that I live in Ann Arbor and have 3 chickens, and why having chickens matters to me (daily outdoor chores, gaining a sense of predators and place, and having to solve problems - sometimes urgent - as they arise). I said that although my operation is very small it is serious - I have twice driven to Toronto to import a rare heritage breed that I value for a number of reasons, and think that as a result I actually have increased the agricultural diversity in the state. Yes, I have only 3 birds, but there are a dozen eggs in the incubator, with more to come.

I also said that although my operation is small, that there are MANY people like me out there. I was of course referring to all of you, and I told them that I personally know of 50 people in some type of chicken-angst because RTF is actually not protecting our rights to establish farming operations. I told them that I had personally been interested in this issue for over a year, and that at the moment the main culprit in establishing RTF protection appears to be MDARD. I said that MDARD impedes RTF protection in at three ways: by the answers they give to people who make inquiries to them, by their published documents which directly conflict with what the law says, how the courts have interpreted, and how the scholars have summarized.

And then I went into my main point. I said that the most recent way that MDARD has impeded RTF protection is with the 2012 GAAMPS preface language that essentially disenfranchises 1.5 million Michiganders from RTF protection. Yes, that is how many people in Michigan live in cities with more than 100,000 residents. I looked directly at them and told them that it was their vote at the December 2011 meeting that enabled that language to be added to the GAAMPS, and I asked them to revoke it. Then I said that although that language was intended to pave the way for the City of Detroit to regulate urban farming without regard to RTF, that the City of Detroit has not done so because they believe the change to the GAAMPS language can withstand a court challenge. And then I again asked them to revoke that 2012 GAAMPS language.

Whew.

I spoke last, at the end of a 3 hour meeting. The room was full of very nice, very sincere people - any of whom I'd be glad to spend an evening with. They responded to me very attentively, and I really think they had no idea that there are issues with RTF protection for urban or residential operations. They seemed truly stunned. They thanked me for coming and asked me to engage in the upcoming, 2013 GAAMPS process. Several people asked for my contact information so they could address my concerns. I met and spoke privately with the new MDARD Director, Jamie Adams Clover, and also with the Deputy Director, Gordon Wenk. This was a really productive experience. It is all still sinking in, but at the moment I do think I'll also be attending the next meeting, which I think is on August 8th. Hope some of you will join me, and I hope those of you who can't will write up statements describing your personal experience that I can bring with me.

Count me in.

I'll go with you as long as I'm not in court fighting for my rights and freedom.
That's right, the prosecutor says that this is a 93 day jail sentence.

Three cheers for Wingless!

I am certain that there has been a good amount of...not coverup, but not full disclosure...within the MDARD. Thank you so very much for taking time to benefit others and standing up for the good of many, when you already have your own flock.

Thanks, VikkiP, but I actually need RTF just like everyone else, as my flock is not entirely compliant with local ordinances.

RaZ, what are the complaints against you from your neighbors?

Wingless thank you so much for that! I appreciate your efforts and will see if I can what I can do up for the next meeting.

Thanks, VikkiP, but I actually need RTF just like everyone else, as my flock is not entirely compliant with local ordinances.

RaZ, what are the complaints against you from your neighbors?
I don't know exactly. They do not have the maturity to actually speak to me. Instead they call the ordinance officer or the police. And as of last evening, they went to my Mother's house and harassed her.

Back
Top Bottom