Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

Does not know, does not care, or does not respect the difference?

So, in effect, MDARD has now determined that a farm is not always a farm, and agriculture is not always agriculture, and these proposed changes open the door to local communities prohibiting the raising of fruits and vegetables, just like Shelby Township does, if they don't feel that the use is appropriate for the parcel.

Fruits and vegetables do, after all, attract pests such as birds and squirrels. They can create messes and waste.

This is not simply an "animal units" discussion now, it is an open admission that the MDARD is not friendly to backyard agriculture of any type. What's next, minimum farm size of 40 acres?

Quote: I do think it was worth the time spent.
I do think that it is worth the effort.
I do think that we need to educate the public and elected officials.
I do think that I'm not done fighting.

I do think that I'll lose my case.
I do think that jail is in my future.
I do think that we can prevail.

Wow..is all I can say about MDRAD's statement on FB.

I don't know how to effectively fight this. I agree with going to meetings, writing letters, and discussions, but ultimately they (MDRAD) has the authority with no check or balance.

Does anyone know what became of the Shady Grove case in Marquette? They are zoned waterfront residental and have a farm.

I cannot find anymore info past May/June 2012.

Eric, the assistant to representative LaFontaine just got back with me.....

He asked someone at MDRAD about BYC and RTF and was told that because I was zoned residental I was not elidgible for RTF protection...grrrrrr.
I replied that simply is not true per case law.

Also, I could not keep chickens as I would not have enough land.... Grrrr
I said that setbacks start at 50 animal units for laying hens.

WHY DO MDRAD EMPLOYEES NOT KNOW THIS. What a waste of my tax dollars. Do they handle all farming issues with such ineptitude?

Eric spoke to one of my city council members that knows Andrea and the impression is that the city of New Baltimore city council would never allow BYC.

Lastly, Eric is waiting to hear from a Michigan Farm Bureau expert on this issue but this induvidual is on vacation.

I extended the invitation to Rep LaFontaine to come to the meeting next Tuesday.

VikkiP--is your land zoned residental?

And another update..I emailed a reporter in Northern Michigan regarding the Shady Grove case

Hi Michelle,

I just spoke with one of the owners of Shady Grove Farm Friday. The case is scheduled for a bench trial Nov. 20 and 21 in Marquette County Circuit Court. Not much will be happening between now and then, unless the two parties settle.

Hope that helps,

Jackie Stark

Wow..is all I can say about MDRAD's statement on FB.

I don't know how to effectively fight this. I agree with going to meetings, writing letters, and discussions, but ultimately they (MDRAD) has the authority with no check or balance.

Actually, blackswan, the Ag Commission is a check on MDARD; MDARD can't pass the new GAAMPS language without approval from the Ag Commission.

FB is different, of course. I wonder if Jamie Clover Adams knows about that post. I think it was written at about the same time that she started.

Eric, the assistant to representative LaFontaine just got back with me.....
He asked someone at MDRAD about BYC and RTF and was told that because I was zoned residental I was not elidgible for RTF protection...grrrrrr.
I replied that simply is not true per case law.
Also, I could not keep chickens as I would not have enough land.... Grrrr
I said that setbacks start at 50 animal units for laying hens.
WHY DO MDRAD EMPLOYEES NOT KNOW THIS. What a waste of my tax dollars. Do they handle all farming issues with such ineptitude?
Eric spoke to one of my city council members that knows Andrea and the impression is that the city of New Baltimore city council would never allow BYC.
Lastly, Eric is waiting to hear from a Michigan Farm Bureau expert on this issue but this induvidual is on vacation.
I extended the invitation to Rep LaFontaine to come to the meeting next Tuesday.
VikkiP--is your land zoned residental?
Yes, our land is zoned residential and has been since the mid '60s. There is no longer any agriculturally zoned land in Shelby Township. Horses are allowed on 3 acres or more, never poultry.

The MRTFA DOES apply. There is no language in the MRTFA related to minimum farm size or location of small farms prior to this suggested amendment.

Yes, our land is zoned residential and has been since the mid '60s. There is no longer any agriculturally zoned land in Shelby Township. Horses are allowed on 3 acres or more, never poultry.

The MRTFA DOES apply. There is no language in the MRTFA related to minimum farm size or location of small farms prior to this suggested amendment.
Thank you VikkiP--That is how I interpret MRTFA re: zoning and size.

::sigh::
I'll report what Eric tells me from Michigan Farm Bureau.

And another update..I emailed a reporter in Northern Michigan regarding the Shady Grove case
Hi Michelle,
I just spoke with one of the owners of Shady Grove Farm Friday. The case is scheduled for a bench trial Nov. 20 and 21 in Marquette County Circuit Court. Not much will be happening between now and then, unless the two parties settle.
Hope that helps,
Jackie Stark
Yes, I"m quoting myself ...

I sent a FB message to Randy Belcher (the property/farm owner of Shady Grove Farms) and he kindly messaged me back confirming the above. He realizes this may go further in the litigation fight, but that his attorneys are confident that RTFA will apply (like the other cases).

I just have such a difficult time believing that MDRAD representatives continue to misinterpret the law ESPECIALLY when precedent has been set and continues to be set.

Has anyone heard from Randy?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom