Microclimates for staggered hatches-Whatcha think?

just2rosey

Songster
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
New Kent
Hi everybody,

I am a newbie, just on my third hatch (all of them have been shipped eggs), so I don't have a lot of experience. I am about to set eggs for a staggered hatch (second time Ive done that) and I had a thought and I wondered if anyone else has tried this, and what you all think. I want to try to create a higher humidity micro-climate around the eggs that go into lock down first, so I don't mess them up when I turn the other eggs which will be 10 days behind. I have a home made incubator with a cpu fan in the bottom below my egg rack and a bowl beside it in the bottom for my water well. My plan is to put a clear glass baking dish over the eggs in lock down, with a clean sponge under the dish also. I am giving it a test run now with a separate thermometer and hygrometer under the dish. I will be able to see thru it, and it should create a more humid area without affecting the temps. I will let you know how the empty test run goes.

I would be worried that you will get to high of a humidity, and not enough air circulation.

We have had chicks hatch several times, with good hatch rates without raising humidity to high. If it were me, I would run you normal cycle, raise humidity slightly like 5% or so during hatch of the first group, and get it back in line as soon as you can for the second group.

Good luck

That was my immediate thought too. Oxygen is every bit as important as high humidity for eggs in lockdown. But the idea is a good one. Worth doing some experimenting with. Though most people doing staggered hatched just get a second incubator to use for lockdown and hatching. That's probably the easiest way to do staggered hatches...

Back
Top Bottom