Midwinter's Bath - Way too many pictures, don't click here if you don't want to see ducks.

Tevyes Dad

Leader of the Quack
8 Years
Apr 22, 2014
This winter has been consistently cold with very few breaks where I could get my ducks a kiddie pool so we decided to to a full flock indoor bath party. This is a bit of insanity, but we knew what we were getting into...
roll.png

First we set up temporary accommodations for the ducks in the kitchen. Here is Casey testing them out.

Then we put all the ducks in with Casey.

But not the drakes, they got Casey's dog crate for the time being...

The first shift was Allie and Rhiannon (since they are the biggest ducks, there was only 2 to the tub.) Each shift got 10 minutes of swim time. We were actually going to give them 15 minutes, but after about 10 minutes, the ducks stop washing and start preening which they can do out of the tub just fine.

They definitely were having fun!!!

Then they got to have some blanket time with @MamaDux so they could preen and dry. We figured that we could have 2 bathtub loads on the blanket before putting them back in their temporary accommodations.

The next batch was Latte, Dove and Casey. This brought the total up to 5. Please note that even though in these pictures you would never guess it, that each batch went in a perfectly clean bathtub that had been fully rinsed and refilled.

Then they joined Rhiannon and Allie on the blanket.

Next batch was Tella, Ettie and Mystique. (That makes 8)

They joined all the other ducks on the blanket. Once I got the next batch in the tub, Allie and Rhiannon went back to the kitchen.

The next batch was Roxette and Greta (My next biggest ducks so they got to go 2 at a time (this brings the total to 10)

Then they got to go out to the blanket and after the next batch was put in, Dove, Latte and Casey were rotated back in the kitchen.

The final batch of ducks was Pocahontas, Noir and Entie. (bringing the total to 13)

Then they got to join the rest on the blanket.

We didn't rotate anyone back into the kitchen because we took a little break, then herded them ALL in the kitchen.

Finally, it was time for our drake boys. (Bringing the total to 15).

They got to have the blanket to themselves. Although for about the first 5 minutes, it was constantly herding them back on the blanket because they wanted to go where the girls were. But we were letting Casey spend time with the flock and we didn't want Casey to have to deal with the boys yet.

Once everybody was dry, I opened the back door, the kennel and their temporary fence and they just waddled out the back door, flew, hopped or tumbled down the steps and made their way into the kennel all by themselves. Of course I followed them and shut the doors and turned on the electric fence, but I didn't even need to herd them. They knew it was time to go home.

Last edited:

Ummm, Hi...

Ime Tevye.

Tony walkt away from the keebord 4 a minit.

I wantit to make a post...

If you liket the post above, you kan send me meelwormz kuz I dont ever get none.

I live in the kenul behind Tonyz house.

Thank you.

Oh, Tony and Yvonne. Wow. I am so happy and in love with the presentation and all the very cute burbs. Love the sight of their webs on the towels. They are precious. Love Tevye drinking out of the mug while Kaine is talking. And Tevyes keyboard skills are quite good. He has such a sweet face. I love your ducks. Thank you for the treat.

You have a great flock!
big_smile.png

I have a Crested duck too. She has a neurological problem,
hit.gif
but she pulls through with it just fine.
Thanks, sorry about your crested. Tevye is definitely "different", but I don't think he is in pain and he can do everything any other duck can but his focus seems strange at times.

Oh, Tony and Yvonne. Wow. I am so happy and in love with the presentation and all the very cute burbs. Love the sight of their webs on the towels. They are precious. Love Tevye drinking out of the mug while Kaine is talking. And Tevyes keyboard skills are quite good. He has such a sweet face. I love your ducks. Thank you for the treat.
Thanks! That darn Tevye is always trying to scam extra treats.
roll.png

Wow I bet ya'll needed a break after letting 15 ducks take a bath in the tub. Sure looks like it was a big hit too.
We planned it well so considering, it wasn't too bad. We started a little before 11:00 and they went outside by 3:00 so if there was any moisture left on them it would freeze while they still had sun to stand in.

I did all the carting, and filling and rinsing and duck moving and Yvonne just watched the duckies and played with them and gave them treats on the towel...

But then I just went through the pics and posted this and Yvonne did all the laundry and vacuuming and mopping and cleanup so yeah, we both need a break.

Back
Top Bottom