Mild unilateral (right) lameness and moveable masses on the foot of a 10-month old hen

SweetWilliam

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Lory State Park, Bellvue, CO
Little Red has been very subtly lame for about a week. It has been hard for me to decide if she was really lame. Today I managed to catch her to inspect her feet and found that she has masses in the webbing both sides of her largest (middle) toe of her right foot that can be seen from above and her pad seems somewhat larger as well. The pea-sized masses on top are very moveable. She's otherwise seems healthy and robust and lays every day.

Diagnosis, anyone?

Looking at the posts about gout, I've discontinued the everything but the organic 20% layer. This is my first flock, so maybe I've been overdoing the BOSS, mealworms, oats and scratch. Is there a chance she's getting too much oyster shell?

She's the only one with the problem and it is on just one foot....

I've also read about bumblefoot. There doesn't seem to be any injury of the foot and her lameness isn't progressive.

Thanks so much, Eggcessive!

After soaking and cleaning the foot, I did discover that there was in fact a tiny, 2mm scab that had a ring of "proud" granulation tissue around it.

My husband and I performed Little Red's surgery tonight. She was a wonderful patient and seemed to sleep through it, although I know it must have been painful. We got copious, very firm, cheesy exudate out and flushed the wound several times with dilute Nolvasan. Then, we covered the pad wound with triple antibiotic on a sterile sponge and wrapped her with vet wrap.

I'll change her bandage daily and keep an eye on the progress while she heels.

Thanks again for your help and the great link to the video. Hopefully, she'll mend well without complication.

Last edited:
Good job on doing a successful bumblefoot surgery. My chickens get it fairly often due to sharp rocks that constantly appear in the soil, and earlier before I lowered my roosts. Each case does not require surgery, but I do it if there is limping, or a swollen painful red footpad.

Back
Top Bottom