Milkweed seed

Is there a trick to harvesting/planting? We have tons of it here in the ditches but I wanted some in our wildflower field so picked a bunch of pods and let them air out all winter, then in the spring planted them and nothing came up. I'd sure mail you some but are these duds or is it me?

Is there a trick to harvesting/planting? We have tons of it here in the ditches but I wanted some in our wildflower field so picked a bunch of pods and let them air out all winter, then in the spring planted them and nothing came up. I'd sure mail you some but are these duds or is it me?
Thank you, I would like to try to grow some for our bees and butterflies.

There IS a trick to milkweed - it's that the seeds need to be "cold stratified".

That means you plant in the late fall/early winter and the over winter cold helps the seed open up the correct way. That is why your spring-planted milkweed didn't grow - it rotted before it got a good freeze.

I think you can "fake" this in the fridge/freezer...Google for steps.

There are several different varieties of milkweed, one of which is "swamp". I know one other is called "common". I feel like there's 1-2 more varieties you see often.

And alas, no amount of soaking, cold stratifying, or anything else can protect a plant against the dreaded "chickens got to them". I lost a few hops ryshomes to that a couple years ago.

There are several different varieties of milkweed, one of which is "swamp". I know one other is called "common". I feel like there's 1-2 more varieties you see often.

And alas, no amount of soaking, cold stratifying, or anything else can protect a plant against the dreaded "chickens got to them". I lost a few hops ryshomes to that a couple years ago.
True true. There certainly good at making a yard a dirt oasis. 😆

Back
Top Bottom